Old 08-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Tim Gardner

Default Quantal: ti-omap4 fails kernel package update

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.BugLink: http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1041607

Given Oliver's comments in the bug
(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+source/linux/+bug/1041607/comments/2)
I kind of wonder how the kernel postinst ever works, especially if
update-initramfs doesn't do anything until the hooks are run. Anyways,
attached is a patch that forces update-initramfs to generate an initrd
when called, rather then deferring until hook time. Is this the right
solution ?

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 08-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 01:39:25PM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> BugLink: http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1041607
>
> Given Oliver's comments in the bug
> (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/+source/linux/+bug/1041607/comments/2)
> I kind of wonder how the kernel postinst ever works, especially if
> update-initramfs doesn't do anything until the hooks are run. Anyways,
> attached is a patch that forces update-initramfs to generate an initrd
> when called, rather then deferring until hook time. Is this the right
> solution ?

We appear in that case to be copying the initrd around instead of
making symbolic links. In the normal case we use links so we do not
notice that the link destination is not yet made. This allows regular
installs to work fine. I suspect some of the kernel configuration is
missing, /etc/kernel-img.conf is likely missing the entries to enforce
link use. I will follow up on the bug.

-apw