Old 08-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Paolo Pisati

Default Q/omap4: Ubuntu-3.5.0-205.10 call for testing

I really wanted to keep it covered until i had ironed out all the
remaining bugs but since so many people asked about it, here is the first 3.5 kernel for Q/omap4:

deb package:
http://people.canonical.com/~ppisati/ti-omap4-tilt-34-on-35/linux-image-3.5.0-205-omap4_3.5.0-205.10_armhf.deb

git tree:
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ppisati/ubuntu-quantal.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ti-omap4-tilt-34-on-35

entire pile of patches that i integrated:
http://people.canonical.com/~ppisati/ti-omap4-tilt-34-on-35/tilt-3.4/

where "done" contains the patches i integrated(1304), "already" contains
the patches already present upstream (369) and "skipped" the patches that
weren't relevant or left for later evaluation (35), for a gross total of
1708, plus some uplevel/fixup patches i created during the porting.

tarball of the aforementioned patches:
http://people.canonical.com/~ppisati/ti-omap4-tilt-34-on-35/tilt-3.4.tar

original git tree where i get the patches:
http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=landing-teams/working/ti/kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/tilt-tracking

What's broken:

-analog audio output is broken - a large portion of audio support was
already upstreamed but the remaning patches didn't apply since the
upstrem stuff was sintactically modified - and when it happens it
usually means the commiter didn't want to let the old stuff apply for
some reason - thus i need some time to sit down and see what's going on

-a couple of processes (hwclock and hybrid-gfx die on startup)

plus there are a couple of warning during boot (iva_seq0|1 and
temperature alert for the sdram (but this one was present on 3.4 and
linaro kernel too)

What's working:

-video output
-serial console
-usb (mass storage, mouse, keyboard, etcetc)
-freq. scaling
-mmc
-ethernet
-wifi

Tested on a PandaES and Panda rev a4.

I created a tracking bug so people can report their success/unsuccess
over there:

http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1035289

if you identify a problem check if it was present in Q/omap 3.4 too (e.g. the emif warning that NO ONE reported so far and i found by myself this morning...), and
write down a simple step-by-step guide to reproduce it.

What's next:

- fix all the trivial warnings and the on-boot dying processes
- rebase on latest Q/master (we're still at 3.5-rc6 here)
- import all the config changes already queued in Q/omap4
- import latest patches from agreen's tilt/tilt-3.4

(i'll probably cut another release here)

and then sit down to get the audio situation sorted out.

Have fun with testing, but remember that is a WIP kernel.
--
bye,
p.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:46 AM
Ricardo Salveti

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Paolo Pisati
<paolo.pisati@canonical.com> wrote:
> I really wanted to keep it covered until i had ironed out all the
> remaining bugs but since so many people asked about it, here is the first 3.5 kernel for Q/omap4:
>
> deb package:
> http://people.canonical.com/~ppisati/ti-omap4-tilt-34-on-35/linux-image-3.5.0-205-omap4_3.5.0-205.10_armhf.deb
>
> git tree:
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ppisati/ubuntu-quantal.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/ti-omap4-tilt-34-on-35
>
> entire pile of patches that i integrated:
> http://people.canonical.com/~ppisati/ti-omap4-tilt-34-on-35/tilt-3.4/
>
> where "done" contains the patches i integrated(1304), "already" contains
> the patches already present upstream (369) and "skipped" the patches that
> weren't relevant or left for later evaluation (35), for a gross total of
> 1708, plus some uplevel/fixup patches i created during the porting.
>
> tarball of the aforementioned patches:
> http://people.canonical.com/~ppisati/ti-omap4-tilt-34-on-35/tilt-3.4.tar
>
> original git tree where i get the patches:
> http://git.linaro.org/gitweb?p=landing-teams/working/ti/kernel.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/tilt-tracking
>
> What's broken:
>
> -analog audio output is broken - a large portion of audio support was
> already upstreamed but the remaning patches didn't apply since the
> upstrem stuff was sintactically modified - and when it happens it
> usually means the commiter didn't want to let the old stuff apply for
> some reason - thus i need some time to sit down and see what's going on
>
> -a couple of processes (hwclock and hybrid-gfx die on startup)
>
> plus there are a couple of warning during boot (iva_seq0|1 and
> temperature alert for the sdram (but this one was present on 3.4 and
> linaro kernel too)
>
> What's working:
>
> -video output
> -serial console
> -usb (mass storage, mouse, keyboard, etcetc)
> -freq. scaling
> -mmc
> -ethernet
> -wifi
>
> Tested on a PandaES and Panda rev a4.
>
> I created a tracking bug so people can report their success/unsuccess
> over there:
>
> http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1035289
>
> if you identify a problem check if it was present in Q/omap 3.4 too (e.g. the emif warning that NO ONE reported so far and i found by myself this morning...), and
> write down a simple step-by-step guide to reproduce it.
>
> What's next:
>
> - fix all the trivial warnings and the on-boot dying processes
> - rebase on latest Q/master (we're still at 3.5-rc6 here)
> - import all the config changes already queued in Q/omap4
> - import latest patches from agreen's tilt/tilt-3.4
>
> (i'll probably cut another release here)
>
> and then sit down to get the audio situation sorted out.
>
> Have fun with testing, but remember that is a WIP kernel.

It works way better on my Panda ES, as with the 3.4 based kernel it's
freezing every time I stress the system (build a package, apt-get
dist-upgrade).

Guess the old kernel had those issues with cpu_idle management for Panda ES.

Let us know when you had the new one on top of the latest stable
kernel snapshot, so we can try to get that one at Quantal asap.

Cheers,
--
Ricardo Salveti de Araujo

Old 08-17-2012, 02:54 PM
Paolo Pisati

On 08/16/2012 09:46 AM, Ricardo Salveti wrote:

> It works way better on my Panda ES, as with the 3.4 based kernel it's
> freezing every time I stress the system (build a package, apt-get
> dist-upgrade).

the 3.4 kernel was a straight import of tilt/tilt-tracking back then

> Guess the old kernel had those issues with cpu_idle management for Panda ES.

i bet you are hitting a thermal problem with dram:

[ 836.078918] emif emif.1: temperature alert before registers are calculated, not de-rating timings
[ 836.088378] emif emif.1: SDRAM temperature change, new level MR4=5
[ 842.202697] emif emif.2: temperature alert before registers are calculated, not de-rating timings
[ 842.212158] emif emif.2: SDRAM temperature change, new level MR4=5
[ 843.643615] emif emif.2: temperature alert before registers are calculated, not de-rating timings
[ 843.653045] emif emif.2: SDRAM temperature change, new level MR4=3
[ 844.003814] emif emif.2: temperature alert before registers are calculated, not de-rating timings
[ 844.013427] emif emif.2: SDRAM temperature change, new level MR4=5
[ 845.804931] emif emif.2: temperature alert before registers are calculated, not de-rating timings
[ 845.814514] emif emif.2: SDRAM temperature change, new level MR4=3

it affects Q/omap4 3.4,3.5, and tilt-3.4 too.
--
bye,
p.