Old 08-01-2012, 07:23 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default kmod

Following some urging by pitti I have merged kmod from Debian with
our Ubuntu modifications to module-init-tools. The only remaining
modifcations seem to be our local blacklist configurations and our local
path modifications.

I have put together a PPA with this updated kmod in it for testing. I have
been testing this on pretty much everything I have for the last 3 weeks.
So far I have see no problems at all indeed things have been so smooth
that I when I came back to confirm my results I found it installed on my
travel laptop which I had not realised it installed.

I have tested this on i386, amd64 and armhf without issues. I have also
tested that the Ubuntu path support for updates and dkms are working.
Plus, I have tested the blacklists are honoured when expected.

There are only two things that we should be aware of:

1) it contains a transitional package for module-init-tools, so to roll
back we would need to epoch the original packages. Though as i
understand it Debian has abandoned module-init-tools so we should be
getting no updates there which at least mitigates an epoch.
2) It has no "map" support. I have as yet seen no ill effects from this.
Perceived wisdom is that these map files are no longer required.
From the testing I have done and from examination of those files
on disk I have not seen them even accessed in a standard install.
Given they have been disabled in Debian for a long time I suspect they
are not used at all.

Overall I think kmod is ready and we should follow Debians transition
to it. If you would like to test the packages they are in my 'black' PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~apw/+archive/black

Baring any other objections I propose to prepare some packages and
get them reviewed with a view to uploading them sooner rather than
later.

Comments?

-apw

Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Martin Pitt

Hello Andy,

Andy Whitcroft [2012-08-01 20:23 +0100]:
> Following some urging by pitti I have merged kmod from Debian with
> our Ubuntu modifications to module-init-tools.

Many thanks! This will allow us to package the current udev.

> 1) it contains a transitional package for module-init-tools, so to roll
> back we would need to epoch the original packages. Though as i
> understand it Debian has abandoned module-init-tools so we should be
> getting no updates there which at least mitigates an epoch.

Please note that we wouldn't use an epoch but a carefully crafted
un-epoched version number, otherwise we'd have to keep it forever when
we switch back to kmod the second time. As m-i-t is abandoned upstream
(kmod is the official successor), I don't see us permanently
reverting; kmod has been out for a rather long time and should be
fairly stable.

> 2) It has no "map" support. I have as yet seen no ill effects from this.
> Perceived wisdom is that these map files are no longer required.

AFAIK these were used by ancient hotplug versions to find kernel
modules. This has been replaced long ago (modprobe/udev, etc.) by the
binary maps which are a lot more efficient.

> Overall I think kmod is ready and we should follow Debians transition
> to it. If you would like to test the packages they are in my 'black' PPA:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~apw/+archive/black
>
> Baring any other objections I propose to prepare some packages and
> get them reviewed with a view to uploading them sooner rather than
> later.

Great, thanks!

Martin
--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 08-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Tim Gardner

On 08/01/2012 01:23 PM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> Following some urging by pitti I have merged kmod from Debian with
> our Ubuntu modifications to module-init-tools. The only remaining
> modifcations seem to be our local blacklist configurations and our local
> path modifications.
>
> I have put together a PPA with this updated kmod in it for testing. I have
> been testing this on pretty much everything I have for the last 3 weeks.
> So far I have see no problems at all indeed things have been so smooth
> that I when I came back to confirm my results I found it installed on my
> travel laptop which I had not realised it installed.
>
> I have tested this on i386, amd64 and armhf without issues. I have also
> tested that the Ubuntu path support for updates and dkms are working.
> Plus, I have tested the blacklists are honoured when expected.
>
> There are only two things that we should be aware of:
>
> 1) it contains a transitional package for module-init-tools, so to roll
> back we would need to epoch the original packages. Though as i
> understand it Debian has abandoned module-init-tools so we should be
> getting no updates there which at least mitigates an epoch.
> 2) It has no "map" support. I have as yet seen no ill effects from this.
> Perceived wisdom is that these map files are no longer required.
> From the testing I have done and from examination of those files
> on disk I have not seen them even accessed in a standard install.
> Given they have been disabled in Debian for a long time I suspect they
> are not used at all.
>
> Overall I think kmod is ready and we should follow Debians transition
> to it. If you would like to test the packages they are in my 'black' PPA:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~apw/+archive/black
>
> Baring any other objections I propose to prepare some packages and
> get them reviewed with a view to uploading them sooner rather than
> later.
>
> Comments?
>
> -apw

It appears to be working OK for me.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 08-02-2012, 04:38 PM
Colin Ian King

[...]

From the testing I have done and from examination of those files
on disk I have not seen them even accessed in a standard install.
Given they have been disabled in Debian for a long time I suspect they
are not used at all.

Overall I think kmod is ready and we should follow Debians transition
to it. If you would like to test the packages they are in my 'black' PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~apw/+archive/black

Baring any other objections I propose to prepare some packages and
get them reviewed with a view to uploading them sooner rather than
later.

Comments?

-apw

It appears to be working OK for me.

And working OK for me too.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:45 PM
Stefan Bader

On 02.08.2012 15:20, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 08/01/2012 01:23 PM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
>> Following some urging by pitti I have merged kmod from Debian with
>> our Ubuntu modifications to module-init-tools. The only remaining
>> modifcations seem to be our local blacklist configurations and our local
>> path modifications.
>>
>> I have put together a PPA with this updated kmod in it for testing. I have
>> been testing this on pretty much everything I have for the last 3 weeks.
>> So far I have see no problems at all indeed things have been so smooth
>> that I when I came back to confirm my results I found it installed on my
>> travel laptop which I had not realised it installed.
>>
>> I have tested this on i386, amd64 and armhf without issues. I have also
>> tested that the Ubuntu path support for updates and dkms are working.
>> Plus, I have tested the blacklists are honoured when expected.
>>
>> There are only two things that we should be aware of:
>>
>> 1) it contains a transitional package for module-init-tools, so to roll
>> back we would need to epoch the original packages. Though as i
>> understand it Debian has abandoned module-init-tools so we should be
>> getting no updates there which at least mitigates an epoch.
>> 2) It has no "map" support. I have as yet seen no ill effects from this.
>> Perceived wisdom is that these map files are no longer required.
>> From the testing I have done and from examination of those files
>> on disk I have not seen them even accessed in a standard install.
>> Given they have been disabled in Debian for a long time I suspect they
>> are not used at all.
>>
>> Overall I think kmod is ready and we should follow Debians transition
>> to it. If you would like to test the packages they are in my 'black' PPA:
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/~apw/+archive/black
>>
>> Baring any other objections I propose to prepare some packages and
>> get them reviewed with a view to uploading them sooner rather than
>> later.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> -apw
>>

> It appears to be working OK for me.

Same here on my upgraded Lenovo S12 and the Dell 1521