FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Kernel Team

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-31-2012, 03:56 PM
David Lehman
 
Default Bill's patch for software selection + comps metadata

On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 11:24 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> - 'Installation Type' is maybe an odd term to use. We talked about using
> the term 'Environment' instead - that term is inclusive of all the
> desktop options and (no-desktop) minimal install that are in that
> selection box.

What about "base system" or "system type"?

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default Bill's patch for software selection + comps metadata

Máirín Duffy (duffy@fedoraproject.org) said:
> - 'Installation Type' is maybe an odd term to use. We talked about using
> the term 'Environment' instead - that term is inclusive of all the
> desktop options and (no-desktop) minimal install that are in that
> selection box.
>
> - We use the term 'install class' a lot, so it might be better to pick a
> different term. Bill has used install class here to mean a desktop + the
> comps groups that are compatible with it = a base package set. Some
> alternatives Bill proposed (with some thesaurus help):
>
> selection
> collection
> combination
> compilation
> assembly
> mix
>
> My suggestion is to use "environment collection" (even though it's long)
> because I think collection is the most appropriate term (a group of
> sets, think Flickr 'collections' vs 'sets') but it's also important to
> use the term 'environment' in it so that someone looking at the comps
> knows that it relates to the 'environment' widget in the UI.

If it's 'Environment' in the UI, I'm fine with using that in the code too;
there's no reason to call it 'environment collection' - environment works
fine.

Bill

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 08-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Chris Lumens
 
Default Bill's patch for software selection + comps metadata

> What about "base system" or "system type"?

"Base system" vs. base group seems weird to me.

- Chris

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default Bill's patch for software selection + comps metadata

Bill Nottingham (notting@redhat.com) said:
> If it's 'Environment' in the UI, I'm fine with using that in the code too;
> there's no reason to call it 'environment collection' - environment works
> fine.

Redone patches for the change from install class to environment (including
in the label) are at:
http://notting.fedorapeople.org/anaconda-patches/

No other changes.

If this is OK, how do you want to stage it? Should I just hold until yum is
built, and then commit both to anaconda and comps at the same time?
Something else?

Bill

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 08-02-2012, 03:12 PM
Chris Lumens
 
Default Bill's patch for software selection + comps metadata

> Redone patches for the change from install class to environment (including
> in the label) are at:
> http://notting.fedorapeople.org/anaconda-patches/
>
> No other changes.

My only comments were on names for things, so that should be fine.

> If this is OK, how do you want to stage it? Should I just hold until yum is
> built, and then commit both to anaconda and comps at the same time?
> Something else?

I think you'll have to wait until yum is built and then you can commit
at the same time. If you commit to anaconda before yum is built, we'll
have an unpopulated software UI at best and tracebacks at worst.

- Chris

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 08-17-2012, 04:38 PM
Bill Nottingham
 
Default Bill's patch for software selection + comps metadata

Chris Lumens (clumens@redhat.com) said:
> > Redone patches for the change from install class to environment (including
> > in the label) are at:
> > http://notting.fedorapeople.org/anaconda-patches/
> >
> > No other changes.
>
> My only comments were on names for things, so that should be fine.
>
> > If this is OK, how do you want to stage it? Should I just hold until yum is
> > built, and then commit both to anaconda and comps at the same time?
> > Something else?
>
> I think you'll have to wait until yum is built and then you can commit
> at the same time. If you commit to anaconda before yum is built, we'll
> have an unpopulated software UI at best and tracebacks at worst.

yum is now built and being submitted to updates-testing - I've merged &
pushed now, and updated the yum requirement in anaconda.spec.

Bill

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 08-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Chris Lumens
 
Default Bill's patch for software selection + comps metadata

> yum is now built and being submitted to updates-testing - I've merged &
> pushed now, and updated the yum requirement in anaconda.spec.

Great, thanks. This newui thing is really coming along.

- Chris

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:51 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org