Old 07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default LP#1030600 -- export highbank device tree blob

TL;DR the highbank QEMU emulator requires a device tree blob, export it
from the kernel source in the linux-image-*-highbank package.

In order to use the ARM highbank QEMU emulator you need the machine
device tree blob to allow the highbank kernel to configure correctly.
On physical hardware this comes from the firmware but for QEMU use we need
to supply this binary file to QEMU. This source for the highbank device
tree blob is contained within the kernel source.

Looking forward we are going to see a number of ARM systems which need
a device tree blob supplied. In many systems this will be supplied
via firmware, but we can expect a number (including OMAP) to require
this to be supplied when flashing the kernel. As this file is hardware
specific it is closest in semantics to firmware we create a new area in
the firmware hierachy ('device-tree') for this; /lib/firmware/device-tree
and /lib/firmware/<kver>/device-tree.

In keeping with this, this patch set adds the concept of optionally
building a device tree file during a flavour build. These are dumped into
a kernel version specific directory in /lib/firmware/<kver>/device-tree.

It should be noted that the binary device tree is only 3.3KB.

Proposing for SRU to precise.

-apw

Andy Whitcroft (2):
UBUNTU: add support for generating binary device trees and install
them in /lib/firmware
UBUNTU: [Config] add dtb_file configuration for highbank

debian.master/rules.d/armhf.mk | 2 ++
debian/rules.d/2-binary-arch.mk | 10 +++++++++-

1.7.10.4