Old 07-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Stefan Bader

Default ACK w/cmnt: LP#1021174 -- ensure module lists contain all modules

On 05.07.2012 14:46, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> When building split packages such as virtual we are splitting out
> the modules into linux-image-* and linux-image-extra-*, however
> when accumulating the module lists for the ABI we only consider the
> linux-image-* package contents. This means that each build will report
> a large number of NEW packages and in theory modules could go missing
> from linux-image-extra-* without being detected. In the common case we
> would catch this as loss in the other non-split flavours but it seems
> appropriate to fix it.
>
> Following this are two patch sets, one for oneiric and one for precise.
> The oneiric stack contains an additional change which is already applied
> to precise and quantal.
>
> Proposing for oneiric and precise. We did not use split packages before
> oneiric.
>
> Note that this will likely have knock on effects on some of the stable
> tooling which also pull the ABI. Of course those tools _should_ use the
> in tree code really if at all possible to avoid such skew, but I do not
> believe they do.
>
> -apw

I believe this looks about right. Yes, external tools need to follow. Those
could be using the in-kernel versions if we are sure those are always reliable
(Hardy!?)...

Old 07-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 03:15:32PM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 05.07.2012 14:46, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> > When building split packages such as virtual we are splitting out
> > the modules into linux-image-* and linux-image-extra-*, however
> > when accumulating the module lists for the ABI we only consider the
> > linux-image-* package contents. This means that each build will report
> > a large number of NEW packages and in theory modules could go missing
> > from linux-image-extra-* without being detected. In the common case we
> > would catch this as loss in the other non-split flavours but it seems
> > appropriate to fix it.
> >
> > Following this are two patch sets, one for oneiric and one for precise.
> > The oneiric stack contains an additional change which is already applied
> > to precise and quantal.
> >
> > Proposing for oneiric and precise. We did not use split packages before
> > oneiric.
> >
> > Note that this will likely have knock on effects on some of the stable
> > tooling which also pull the ABI. Of course those tools _should_ use the
> > in tree code really if at all possible to avoid such skew, but I do not
> > believe they do.
> >
> > -apw
> >
> I believe this looks about right. Yes, external tools need to follow. Those
> could be using the in-kernel versions if we are sure those are always reliable
> (Hardy!?)...

Yep, something to do, we should be using only one set of tools (the intree
code), but needs some testing probably on old releases if that wasn't
reliable. Also for example maint-getabis allow pulling from the c-k-t
ppa when things aren't yet on -proposed, so you can do an early start
new release on master-next if desired, something like that would be good
to have also on the in tree script if possible.

[]'s
Herton

Old 07-05-2012, 02:42 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 11:31:22AM -0300, Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 03:15:32PM +0200, Stefan Bader wrote:
> > On 05.07.2012 14:46, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> > > When building split packages such as virtual we are splitting out
> > > the modules into linux-image-* and linux-image-extra-*, however
> > > when accumulating the module lists for the ABI we only consider the
> > > linux-image-* package contents. This means that each build will report
> > > a large number of NEW packages and in theory modules could go missing
> > > from linux-image-extra-* without being detected. In the common case we
> > > would catch this as loss in the other non-split flavours but it seems
> > > appropriate to fix it.
> > >
> > > Following this are two patch sets, one for oneiric and one for precise.
> > > The oneiric stack contains an additional change which is already applied
> > > to precise and quantal.
> > >
> > > Proposing for oneiric and precise. We did not use split packages before
> > > oneiric.
> > >
> > > Note that this will likely have knock on effects on some of the stable
> > > tooling which also pull the ABI. Of course those tools _should_ use the
> > > in tree code really if at all possible to avoid such skew, but I do not
> > > believe they do.
> > >
> > > -apw
> > >
> > I believe this looks about right. Yes, external tools need to follow. Those
> > could be using the in-kernel versions if we are sure those are always reliable
> > (Hardy!?)...
>
> Yep, something to do, we should be using only one set of tools (the intree
> code), but needs some testing probably on old releases if that wasn't
> reliable. Also for example maint-getabis allow pulling from the c-k-t
> ppa when things aren't yet on -proposed, so you can do an early start
> new release on master-next if desired, something like that would be good
> to have also on the in tree script if possible.

That should be easy to test out, the list of 'pools' it searches are in
the debian.master/etc/getabis script. I will have a quick look now.

-apw