Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Stephan Seitz

Default Precise 3.2 fscache

Hi there,

please apologize if this list is the wrong place for my request.

Precise's linux-image-virtual aka linux-image-3.2.0-25-virtual has CONFIG_FSCACHE=m and CONFIG_CACHEFILES=m

Due to CONFIG_NFS_FSCACHE=y it's usable on NFS mounts.

Is there a reason for not setting CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE ?

I'ld really like to get the benefits of fscache on CIFS mounts by using ubuntu's mainline kernel.

So, I'ld like to ask if it would be possible to alter the build configuration to CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE=y ?

Cheers,

--

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

netz-haut GmbH
multimediale kommunikation

Friedrich-Bergius-Ring 12
97076 W├╝rzburg

┬*┬* Telefon: 0931 - 780 11 780
┬*┬* Telefax: 0931 - 780 11 799

┬*┬* Web: www.netzhaut.de

Amtsgericht W├╝rzburg ÔÇô HRB 10764

Gesch├Ąftsf├╝hrer: Michael Daut, Kai Neugebauer

Old 06-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Tim Gardner

On 06/26/2012 05:16 AM, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> please apologize if this list is the wrong place for my request.
>
> Precise's linux-image-virtual aka linux-image-3.2.0-25-virtual has
> CONFIG_FSCACHE=m and CONFIG_CACHEFILES=m
> Due to CONFIG_NFS_FSCACHE=y it's usable on NFS mounts.
> Is there a reason for not setting CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE ?
> I'ld really like to get the benefits of fscache on CIFS mounts by using
> ubuntu's mainline kernel.
> So, I'ld like to ask if it would be possible to alter the build
> configuration to CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE=y ?

CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE depends on EXPERIMENTAL. Our default policy is to
_not_ enable experimental features unless we've determined prior to
release that its a beneficial feature and relatively mature.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 06-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Stephan Seitz

Am Mittwoch, den 27.06.2012, 08:04 -0600 schrieb Tim Gardner:

On 06/26/2012 05:16 AM, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> please apologize if this list is the wrong place for my request.
>
> Precise's linux-image-virtual aka linux-image-3.2.0-25-virtual has
> CONFIG_FSCACHE=m and CONFIG_CACHEFILES=m
> Due to CONFIG_NFS_FSCACHE=y it's usable on NFS mounts.
> Is there a reason for not setting CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE ?
> I'ld really like to get the benefits of fscache on CIFS mounts by using
> ubuntu's mainline kernel.
> So, I'ld like to ask if it would be possible to alter the build
> configuration to CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE=y ?

CONFIG_CIFS_FSCACHE depends on EXPERIMENTAL. Our default policy is to
_not_ enable experimental features unless we've determined prior to
release that its a beneficial feature and relatively mature.

rtg

Ok. This sounds reasonable.

Thanks for your response.

cheers,