Old 04-02-2012, 01:03 PM
Tim Gardner

Default APPLIED: APPLIED: ASUS ET2012 series machines

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 04-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Tim Gardner

The commit log for c55d995dd3cebffdeb2b7eff8acc813c56d62c97 is
non-existent, so its hard to tell from the patch just _how_ it avoids a
potential NULL memory access.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 AM
AceLan Kao

Dear Tim,

In this function
static void eeepc_wmi_quirks(struct asus_wmi_driver *driver)
{
- driver->panel_power = FB_BLANK_UNBLANK;
- driver->quirks = &quirk_asus_unknown;
- driver->quirks->hotplug_wireless = hotplug_wireless;
- driver->quirks->wapf = -1;
+ quirks = &quirk_asus_unknown;
+ quirks->hotplug_wireless = hotplug_wireless;
+
dmi_check_system(asus_quirks);
+
driver->quirks = quirks;
+ driver->quirks->wapf = -1;
+ driver->panel_power = FB_BLANK_UNBLANK;
}

"driver->quirks" will become NULL if dmi_check_system() doesn't match any quirk.

This line actually prevents the NULL pointer be assigned to
"driver->quirks" after dmi_check_system()
+ quirks = &quirk_asus_unknown;

I think it's fixed accidentally, since the driver maintainer's machine
and mine all match the quirk.

Best regards,
AceLan Kao.

2012/4/2 Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com>:
> The commit log for c55d995dd3cebffdeb2b7eff8acc813c56d62c97 is
> non-existent, so its hard to tell from the patch just _how_ it avoids a
> potential NULL memory access.
>
> --
> Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

--