Old 03-15-2012, 11:38 AM
Tim Gardner

Default ACK: CVE-2012-0045

On 03/14/2012 04:18 PM, Stefan Bader wrote:

32bit guests will crash (and 64bit guests may behave in a
wrong way) for example by simply executing following
nasm-demo-application:
The reason seems a missing "invalid opcode"-trap (int6) for the
syscall opcode "0f05", which is not available on Intel CPUs
within non-longmodes, as also on some AMD CPUs within legacy-mode.
(depending on CPU vendor, MSR_EFER and cpuid)

Problem got introduced in 2.6.32 (so Hardy is not affected) and
recently fixed in a 3.3-rc.
For Precise a simple cherry-pick of the two patches works. Previous
releases require a increasing amount of tweaking. Following this
email are the patches for Lucid till Precise.
Since KVM virtualization is not an option for ARM and neither EC2,
only the master branches should require this. If I did not forget
something.

Changes tested on 32bit hosts/32bit guest for all releases and
additionally on a 64bit host/32bit+64bit guest for Lucid.

-Stefan

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 03-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 11:18:36PM +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
> 32bit guests will crash (and 64bit guests may behave in a
> wrong way) for example by simply executing following
> nasm-demo-application:
> The reason seems a missing "invalid opcode"-trap (int6) for the
> syscall opcode "0f05", which is not available on Intel CPUs
> within non-longmodes, as also on some AMD CPUs within legacy-mode.
> (depending on CPU vendor, MSR_EFER and cpuid)
>
> Problem got introduced in 2.6.32 (so Hardy is not affected) and
> recently fixed in a 3.3-rc.
> For Precise a simple cherry-pick of the two patches works. Previous
> releases require a increasing amount of tweaking. Following this
> email are the patches for Lucid till Precise.
> Since KVM virtualization is not an option for ARM and neither EC2,
> only the master branches should require this. If I did not forget
> something.
>
> Changes tested on 32bit hosts/32bit guest for all releases and
> additionally on a 64bit host/32bit+64bit guest for Lucid.
>
> -Stefan

[]'s
Herton