Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 AM
Benjamin Herrenschmidt

Default Drop Non-smp PowerPC Kernel Flavor

On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 10:47 +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> > I appreciate your optimism, but it most certainly doesn't boot.
> > Andy and I have been going over it, and we're wondering if perhaps
> > it's the CONFIG_NEED_PER_CPU_KM bit, which is mutually exclusive
> > with CONFIG_SMP.
> >
> >> * which kernel version (precise) that you're trying to boot
> >
> > linux-image-3.2.0-19-powerpc-smp (3.2.0-19.30) won't boot.
> > linux-image-3.2.0-18-powerpc (3.2.0-18.29) works just fine.
> >
> >> * more details about the machine
> >
> > It's an OldWorld Beige G3 with one of the many 1GHz upgrade
> > boards that were popular long ago, sadly, I don't recall
> > which brand/model, though I suspect I'd have the same
> > problem booting if I dug up the original CPU and stuck it
> > back in.
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure what more info you might want than
> > "OldWorld G3 Tower", but if there's something specific you'd
> > like me digging for, I'm all ears.

Ok, so no obvious reason why it wouldn't work, it -should- so I'll have
to debug it. I don't think I have a beige G3 at hand, tho I have a
wallstreet powerbook which is a similar HW design (grackle aka MPC106
bridge + heathrow), so I'll give that a try.

Any more data about where it stops booting ? Can you try making sure you
have udbg btext enabled in config and boot with "udb-immortal debug
initcall_debug" on the command line ?

If that doesn't work and you have the right cable, stick something in
the modem port (terminal set to 38400/8N1) and boot with "sccdbg" in
addition to the above on the command line and let me know.

I'll dig the wallstreet tomorrow, in the meantime, pls shoot me
the .config, also do you have a git tree or tarball to get the exact
source tree you're using just in case .. ?

Cheers,
Ben.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:11 AM
Jeremy Kerr

Hi Ben,

I'll dig the wallstreet tomorrow, in the meantime, pls shoot me
the .config, also do you have a git tree or tarball to get the exact
source tree you're using just in case .. ?

Git tree is at:

git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-precise.git/

To build the .configs:

debian/rules genconfigs

Check /tmp/tmp.XXXXX/powerpc-config.flavour.powerpc-smp-full for the
full config file.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Old 03-19-2012, 06:48 AM
Adam Conrad

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 04:59:44PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> Any more data about where it stops booting ? Can you try making sure you
> have udbg btext enabled in config and boot with "udb-immortal debug
> initcall_debug" on the command line ?

Unfortunately, it boots from BootX, because I could never make quik run
on my broken OF (granted, I never tried that hard, so I'm sure it can
be done, but if it ain't broke?). The problem with booting from BootX,
though, is that there's no chance for debug output, because I just get
a slightly corrupt MacOS desktop, and then the machine hangs. It's not
getting far enough to init a framebuffer or anything shiny.

... Adam

Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 07:48:01AM +0000, Adam Conrad wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 04:59:44PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > Any more data about where it stops booting ? Can you try making sure you
> > have udbg btext enabled in config and boot with "udb-immortal debug
> > initcall_debug" on the command line ?
>
> Unfortunately, it boots from BootX, because I could never make quik run
> on my broken OF (granted, I never tried that hard, so I'm sure it can
> be done, but if it ain't broke?). The problem with booting from BootX,
> though, is that there's no chance for debug output, because I just get
> a slightly corrupt MacOS desktop, and then the machine hangs. It's not
> getting far enough to init a framebuffer or anything shiny.

As this kernel update was a stable rebase and a switcheroo on the built
powerpc bits I have reverted just the powerpc changes on the same base
so we can confirm this is realated to using the SMP bits and not an
unrelated change. Kernels are the powerpc kernels at the URL below for
those who have issues:

http://people.canonical.com/~apw/master-next-precise/

Please report any testing, thanks.

-apw

Old 03-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Sun, 2012-03-18 at 19:41 +0000, Adam Conrad wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:39:42AM -0700, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> >
> > Jeremy Kerr did some testing a while back and noted that the PowerPC smp
> > flavor should run on non-smp hardware, but did acknowledge there could
> > be a slight performance degradation.
>
> For the record, the powerpc-smp kernel doesn't boot AT ALL on my G3
> PowerMac. Doesn't even get far enough to init video of any sort, so
> I can't tell you what the problem is.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the feedback. In light of this I've had a discussion with
the Ubuntu Kernel Team and we have decided on the following:

1. We will reinstate the non-smp PowerPC kernel flavor for the
Precise 12.04 LTS release. We do have a caveat, see items #3
and #4.
2. We would still prefer to see the installer default to the
powerpc-smp flavor.
3. Given that PowerPC is not an officially supported architecture,
we will not be required to conduct any PowerPC test builds prior
to upload. In the event of a build failure on PowerPC, it will
not block an Ubuntu kernel release/update nor impede on the
existing Ubuntu kernel SRU cadence [1]. Fixes for these
failures, should they occur, will be applied as they are made
available.
4. In the event of a build failure on PowerPC, the Ubuntu Kernel
Team will ensure linux-meta will resolve to the appropriate
packages in the archive.
5. We will re-evaluate all arch's and Ubuntu kernel flavors which
we are supporting/carrying at UDS-Q. Please attend the UDS-Q
session [2] if you have a vested interest in this topic.

If there are any questions or concerns about any of the above
stipulations, please let us know.

Thanks,
Leann

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseInterlock
[2] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-q-kernel-version-and-flavors

Old 03-20-2012, 02:06 AM
Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 07:48 +0000, Adam Conrad wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 04:59:44PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> >
> > Any more data about where it stops booting ? Can you try making sure you
> > have udbg btext enabled in config and boot with "udb-immortal debug
> > initcall_debug" on the command line ?
>
> Unfortunately, it boots from BootX, because I could never make quik run
> on my broken OF (granted, I never tried that hard, so I'm sure it can
> be done, but if it ain't broke?). The problem with booting from BootX,
> though, is that there's no chance for debug output, because I just get
> a slightly corrupt MacOS desktop, and then the machine hangs. It's not
> getting far enough to init a framebuffer or anything shiny.

That's odd ... initializing a FB comes very very early ... oh well, the
wallstreet is also a bootx machine, so I'll give that a go.

Cheers,
Ben.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Benjamin Herrenschmidt

On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 14:06 +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-03-19 at 07:48 +0000, Adam Conrad wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 04:59:44PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> > >
> > > Any more data about where it stops booting ? Can you try making sure you
> > > have udbg btext enabled in config and boot with "udb-immortal debug
> > > initcall_debug" on the command line ?
> >
> > Unfortunately, it boots from BootX, because I could never make quik run
> > on my broken OF (granted, I never tried that hard, so I'm sure it can
> > be done, but if it ain't broke?). The problem with booting from BootX,
> > though, is that there's no chance for debug output, because I just get
> > a slightly corrupt MacOS desktop, and then the machine hangs. It's not
> > getting far enough to init a framebuffer or anything shiny.
>
> That's odd ... initializing a FB comes very very early ... oh well, the
> wallstreet is also a bootx machine, so I'll give that a go.

A quick test with my -next branch SMP (I haven't tried your kernel &
config yet) and it seems to work fine (well, it doesn't properly mount
root afterward but that's a different issue).

Have you tried the BootX app instead of extension ? That might make the
display work better ?

The kernel should be setting up a raw text display for early output very
very early on, before the main framebuffer driver shows up, I'm
surprised that doesn't even happen.

I'll try the ubuntu kernel & config next, tho I'm a bit unwell today so
I suspect I'll just go home & do that tomorrow.

Cheers,
Ben.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Jeremy Kerr

Hi Adam,

Benh pointed out 78c5c68a; which looks like it'll address this. I've
built some packages:

http://people.canonical.com/~jk/powerpc-oldworld-smp/

- let me know if the -smp flavour works on your machine.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Old 03-20-2012, 05:53 AM
Adam Conrad

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 02:30:14PM +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:

> Benh pointed out 78c5c68a; which looks like it'll address this. I've
> built some packages:
>
> http://people.canonical.com/~jk/powerpc-oldworld-smp/
>
> - let me know if the -smp flavour works on your machine.

Huzzah. That does indeed fix it, that build boots on my machine. I
guess now I have to give up my UP kernel, eh? :P

... Adam

Old 03-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 06:53 +0000, Adam Conrad wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 02:30:14PM +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> >
> > Benh pointed out 78c5c68a; which looks like it'll address this. I've
> > built some packages:
> >
> > http://people.canonical.com/~jk/powerpc-oldworld-smp/
> >
> > - let me know if the -smp flavour works on your machine.
>
> Huzzah. That does indeed fix it, that build boots on my machine. I
> guess now I have to give up my UP kernel, eh? :P

Jeremy and Ben, thanks for chasing down this fix. I've gone ahead and
applied it to our Precise git repo and it should be available in the
next upload.

Adam, given the above issue is now resolved for you. I would like to
proceed with our original proposal of removing the non-smp PowerPC
flavor. In the event we uncover any further issues which would require
us to reinstate the non-smp PowerPC flavor, we will proceed with the
alternative solution as outlined in [1].

Thanks,
Leann

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2012-March/034964.html