Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM
David Henningsson

Default Installing 12.04 on non-pae hardware

On 02/10/2012 05:44 PM, David Henningsson wrote:

Hi,

It was decided not to drop the non-pae kernel flavour until 12.10, so
that non-pae computers would still be supported for five years.

I happen to have one of these, I use it on a daily basis for IRC and a
few other things. So now I want to test 12.04 on that laptop, but when I
try to boot the daily live-CD, I get an error saying that my CPU is
missing the pae feature.

How can I install 12.04 on my non-pae kernel when I can't boot the
installer? Am I missing something?

I got no responses from the above, so I took the matter in my own hands
and created a custom Live-CD, based on 12.04 beta1, with the only
difference that it boots and installs a non-pae kernel instead of the
pae one.

It's available here for those who want it:
http://people.canonical.com/~diwic/12.04-nonpae/

Note that this is work made by somebody who is not a LiveCD expert by
any means, never made a custom LiveCD before, and merely followed the
instructions here [1]. You have been warned. :-)

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

[1] https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCDCustomization

Old 03-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Tim Gardner

[...]

Your only option for a non-PAE CPU is to upgrade from a previous
release. The 12.04 installer will not boot a non-PAE CPU.

rtg

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com