Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
Joseph Salisbury

Default LP:808384 Added To Kernel Team Hot List

Hello,

I've added the following bug to the Kernel Team Hot List:
LP:808384

* This bug was introduced in the 3.0 kernel.
* The bug continues to exist in Precise and the latest v3.2 stable kernel.
* The bug was fixed in the mainline v3.3-rc1 kernel.
* There are some errors in the Xorg log file:
* http://paste.ubuntu.com/859764/
* The only error in the syslog file and dmesg is:
* "[drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid framebuffer id"

I'm searching upstream for the commit that fixed this bug in v3.3 and
will see if it's queued up for v3.2 stable. However, if anyone has some
free cycles, it would be great if this bug could be reviewed.

Thanks,

Joe

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/808384

Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 04:47:21PM -0500, Joseph Salisbury wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've added the following bug to the Kernel Team Hot List:
> LP:808384
>
> * This bug was introduced in the 3.0 kernel.
> * The bug continues to exist in Precise and the latest v3.2 stable kernel.
> * The bug was fixed in the mainline v3.3-rc1 kernel.
> * There are some errors in the Xorg log file:
> * http://paste.ubuntu.com/859764/
> * The only error in the syslog file and dmesg is:
> * "[drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid framebuffer id"
>

> I'm searching upstream for the commit that fixed this bug in v3.3
> and will see if it's queued up for v3.2 stable. However, if anyone
> has some free cycles, it would be great if this bug could be
> reviewed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

Be aware that the error message you are using there as a symptom was
removed as "userspace triggerable noise", see my latest comment.

-apw

Old 02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:01:58AM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 04:47:21PM -0500, Joseph Salisbury wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've added the following bug to the Kernel Team Hot List:
> > LP:808384
> >
> > * This bug was introduced in the 3.0 kernel.
> > * The bug continues to exist in Precise and the latest v3.2 stable kernel.
> > * The bug was fixed in the mainline v3.3-rc1 kernel.
> > * There are some errors in the Xorg log file:
> > * http://paste.ubuntu.com/859764/
> > * The only error in the syslog file and dmesg is:
> > * "[drm:drm_mode_getfb] *ERROR* invalid framebuffer id"
> >

> > I'm searching upstream for the commit that fixed this bug in v3.3
> > and will see if it's queued up for v3.2 stable. However, if anyone
> > has some free cycles, it would be great if this bug could be
> > reviewed.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Joe
>
> Be aware that the error message you are using there as a symptom was
> removed as "userspace triggerable noise", see my latest comment.

Also it looks like the main issue on the bug got diverted or mixed up
with the drm message problem following the comments. The original issue
on the description:

"When I press the button Fn and button F3/F4/F5 to control the volume on
laptop, the volume level notification flickers a long time without
control and the desktop hangs for a while."

Drm shouldn't be the root cause. I think this guy has the key press
without key release problem with multimedia keys common with many
machines/laptops with multimedia keys, so after a key press there is no
release event, userspace gets confused thinking the key is still
pressed. If it's this case, we would have to add a new quirk in udev for
this machine, eg. using Oneiric as a base:

* Edit /lib/udev/rules.d/95-keyboard-force-release.rules
* Add "AMILO Pi 2530" dmi from the machine reported there to match along
with the other fujitsu machines, probably this one share the same
common missing release keys problem with the other fujitsus:
- replace ENV{DMI_VENDOR}=="FUJITSU SIEMENS", ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="AMILO Si 1848+u|AMILO Xi 2428", RUN+="keyboard-force-release.sh $devpath common-volume-keys"
- with ENV{DMI_VENDOR}=="FUJITSU SIEMENS", ATTR{[dmi/id]product_name}=="AMILO Si 1848+u|AMILO Xi 2428|AMILO Pi 2530", RUN+="keyboard-force-release.sh $devpath common-volume-keys"

After reboot should be fixed (or udev restart may be). Above is just a
possible solution, only valid if the Fujitsu machine reported there
share the same scan codes not reporting the release events as the other
AMILO machines already in udev.

To confirm/see which keys don't get release events, running "showkey -s"
as root and pressing the multimedia keys on a vt should do it
(you can also use showkey -k as it's more readable to just see what key
don't get the release event, but we don't get the scan codes to add or
check against udev quirk).

> -apw

[]'s
Herton