Old 02-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Leann Ogasawara

Default RC6 Enabled by Default on Sandy Bridge

Hi All,

RC6 is a technology which allows the GPU to go into a very low power
consumption state when the GPU is idle (down to 0V). It results in
considerable power savings when this stage is activated. When comparing
under idle loads with machine state where RC6 is disabled, improved
power usage of around 40-60% has been witnessed [1].

Up until recently, RC6 was disabled by default for Sandy Bridge systems
due to reports of hangs and graphics corruption issues when RC6 was
enabled. Intel has now asserted that RC6p (deep RC6) is responsible for
the RC6 related issues on Sandy Bridge. As a result, a patch has
recently been submitted upstream to disable RC6p for Sandy Bridge [2].

In an effort to provide more exposure and testing for this proposed
patch, the Ubuntu Kernel Team has applied this patch to 3.2.0-17.26 and
newer Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin kernels. We have additionally
enabled plain RC6 by default on Sandy Bridge systems so that users can
benefit from the improved power savings by default.

We have decided to post a widespread call for testing from Sandy Bridge
owners running Ubuntu 12.04. We hope to capture data which supports the
the claims of power saving improvements and therefore justify keeping
these patches in the Ubuntu 12.04 kernel. We also want to ensure we do
not trigger any issues due to plain RC6 being enabled by default for
Sandy Bridge.

If you are running Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) and willing to test
and provide feedback, please refer to our PowerManagementRC6 wiki for
detailed instructions [3]. Additionally, instructions for reporting any
issues with RC6 enabled are also noted on the wiki. We would really
appreciate any testing and feedback users are able to provide.

Thanks in advance,
The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[1] http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?68199-Intel-Wants-YOUR-Linux-Questions-Feedback&p=246785#post246785
[2] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2012-February/015131.html
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/PowerManagementRC6

Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 AM
Leann Ogasawara

On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 13:07 -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
[...]
> If you are running Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) and willing to test
> and provide feedback, please refer to our PowerManagementRC6 wiki for
> detailed instructions [3]. Additionally, instructions for reporting any
> issues with RC6 enabled are also noted on the wiki. We would really
> appreciate any testing and feedback users are able to provide.

I first want to thank everyone who has already tested and provided their
feedback. It is very much appreciated. There has however been some
recent developments with the current RC6 patch which originated this
call for testing. An adjustment has been made to that original patch:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2012-February/015319.html

We're hoping this fix resolves the remaining issues when RC6 is enabled
by default. A test kernel has already been built and posted to the RC6
bugs noted in the PowerManagementRC6 wiki [3].

For anyone else who was interested in testing, and wants to re-test, I
ask that you please hold off until we are able to upload this additional
fix. I hope to get a Beta Freeze exception for this and intend follow
up with the Release Team accordingly. I will respond to this email once
we have an official kernel in the archive ready for additional testing.

Thanks again,
Leann Ogasawara

Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 21:21 -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-02-18 at 13:07 -0800, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> [...]
> > If you are running Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) and willing to test
> > and provide feedback, please refer to our PowerManagementRC6 wiki for
> > detailed instructions [3]. Additionally, instructions for reporting any
> > issues with RC6 enabled are also noted on the wiki. We would really
> > appreciate any testing and feedback users are able to provide.
>
> I first want to thank everyone who has already tested and provided their
> feedback. It is very much appreciated. There has however been some
> recent developments with the current RC6 patch which originated this
> call for testing. An adjustment has been made to that original patch:
>
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2012-February/015319.html
>
> We're hoping this fix resolves the remaining issues when RC6 is enabled
> by default. A test kernel has already been built and posted to the RC6
> bugs noted in the PowerManagementRC6 wiki [3].
>
> For anyone else who was interested in testing, and wants to re-test, I
> ask that you please hold off until we are able to upload this additional
> fix. I hope to get a Beta Freeze exception for this and intend follow
> up with the Release Team accordingly. I will respond to this email once
> we have an official kernel in the archive ready for additional testing.

We have uploaded a new Ubuntu kernel, v3.2.0-17.27, which contains the
latest RC6 fix [4]. For anyone who tested previously, if you would be
willing to re-test with this newer kernel, that would be great. I'd
especially like to request that anyone who saw issues with RC6 when
testing earlier to please re-test.

Thanks again for all of the testing effort and feedback so far. I do
apologize for the additional testing requests being made, but it is very
much appreciated.

Thanks,
Leann Ogasawara

[4] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/3.2.0-17.27

Old 04-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Leann Ogasawara

Hi All,

I just wanted to send a note to announce that the RC6 call for testing
is now officially closed. We appreciate all of the testing feedback we
received. It had a direct impact and influence on our decision to
enable plain RC6 by default for Precise. Between the testing feedback
we received and interaction with the upstream developers, we were also
able to find and fix a handful of RC6 related issues. Kudos to all
involved.

Thanks,
Leann Ogasawara