Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 PM
Tim Gardner

Default ACK: remove security_sk_clone calls from compat-wireless-3.2

From: James M. Leddy <james.leddy@canonical.com>

BugLink: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/914689

=== Oneiric SRU Justification ===
There is an abi incompatibility with current compat-wireless lbm and
what we have in 3.0. That means that we have no way to load the
bluetooth modules. This is a serious problem for anyone that has a newer
wireless card but also wants to use bluetooth.

== Fix ==
Remove the security_sk_clone call. This is just a call to copy over
security information when cloning a socket, but it's something that we
have never had in linux-3.0. This call was not exported in the linux-3.0
code which is why we can't load the module with that call included

== Test Case ==
Install inux-backports-modules-3.0.0 for Oneiric and confirm that you
can't load bluetooth module or drivers like btusb because of symbol
resolution errors. Apply the patch and notice that you cand load
bluetooth and drivers with no problems.

There is no risk of regression since LBM is an elective install. I've
attached the patch as bzr output, please let me know if git commit
output is necessary.

Alternately, you can merge this branch:
https://code.launchpad.net/~jm-leddy/ubuntu/oneiric/linux-backports-modules-3.0.0/fix-914689

I've been investigating this. The patch is fine, but we also need to fix
the root cause in upstream cw-3.1 or we'll just have this problem next
time we update.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com