Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Colin Ian King

Default Power consumption comparing Ubuntu releases.

Hi again,

Continuing the blueprint work on analysing power consumption I've now
run a bunch of tests across 6 different releases (Hardy LTS, Lucid LTS,
Maverick, Natty, Oneiric and Precise LTS) and measured power consumption
as well as wakeup events to try to identify trends and possible power
sucking culprits.

There are two Libre Office spreadsheets available:

http://zinc.canonical.com/~cking/power-benchmarking/releases-comparisons/power-consumption-across-releases.ods

http://zinc.canonical.com/~cking/power-benchmarking/releases-comparisons/events-across-releases.ods

and a brief analysis write-up here:

http://zinc.canonical.com/~cking/power-benchmarking/releases-comparisons/results.txt

This is useful for discussion, I'm not necessarily going to fix any
issues found (and please don't shoot the messenger!) but I appreciate
any feedback and questions. I will be following this up with some more
analysis on the cost of different desktops with different desktop
applications later on this week.

Colin