Old 12-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Seth Forshee

Default dell-mwi: Demote unknown WMI event message to pr_debug

This message is informational in nature, but frequently users see it and
believe that there is a problem on their system. Dell has signaled their
intention to add support upstream for the events causing these messages
in the coming weeks. I'd like to silence this message in all affected
kernels to prevent new bugs from being reported.

== SRU Justification ==

Impact: Many Dell systems send WMI events that are unknown to the
dell-wmi driver, and in response dell-wmi prints a "Received unknwon WMI
event ..." message. This is harmless; some minimal functionality may be
missing from not knowing how to interpret the events, but there is no
problem with leaving the events unprocessed. However, the messages can
clutter up the kernel logs and can also cause users to fear that there
is a problem with their system.

Fix: Demote these messages to pr_debug until we know how to handle them,
causing them to no longer be printed by default.

Test Case: Using a patched driver results in the messages no longer
appearing in the kernel log.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Seth Forshee

D'oh, forgot the buglink.