Old 12-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Stefan Bader

Default APPLIED: co Fix memory leak/corruption on VLAN GRO_DROP

On 19.09.2011 16:12, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 09/19/2011 08:00 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> introduced by (2.6.30):
>> 5d0d9be8ef456afc6c3fb5f8aad06ef19b704b05
>> gro: Move common completion code into helpers
>>
>> fixed upstream by (2.6.37):
>> 3701e51382a026cba10c60b03efabe534fba4ca4
>> vlan: Centralize handling of hardware acceleration.
>>
>> The upstream fix avoids the problem by re-arranging some helper functions.
>> This minimal fix was picked from the RedHat source package. It matches the
>> way that the vlan code handled the cases before the merge.
>>
>> Natty and Oneiric have the upstream fix. Hardy does not even handle GRO.
>> So only fixes for Lucid and Maverick are required. The two versions for
>> lucid/fsl-imx51 and the rest only differ by a bit of sourrounding code.

Benjamin Poirier from SUSE had been looking at this one, too. And we had brief
discussion. While the simple fix we took from RedHat will likely work, it is not
really restoring a previous behavior as I had been thinking. This alternate
approach is now queued in 2.6.32.y and when that hits, we could revert the other
patch. And we likely would then want to do the same for all the combinations of
other places where the same patch has been added.

-Stefan

Old 12-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Stefan Bader

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.Thats the alternate patch

Old 12-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Stefan Bader

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.and the revesion example for Maverick#

Old 12-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Tim Gardner

On 12/07/2011 09:46 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:

[...]

So, you're kind of confusing me about which patches get reverted in what
release. Perhaps you could send pull requests for each release that
demonstrate exactly how you'd like each release to look.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 12-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Stefan Bader

On 12.12.2011 15:07, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 12/07/2011 09:46 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:

>> Benjamin Poirier from SUSE had been looking at this one, too. And we had brief
>> discussion. While the simple fix we took from RedHat will likely work, it is not
>> really restoring a previous behavior as I had been thinking. This alternate
>> approach is now queued in 2.6.32.y and when that hits, we could revert the other
>> patch. And we likely would then want to do the same for all the combinations of
>> other places where the same patch has been added.
>>
>> -Stefan
>
> So, you're kind of confusing me about which patches get reverted in what
> release. Perhaps you could send pull requests for each release that demonstrate
> exactly how you'd like each release to look.
>
> rtg

Hm, probably will make sense more to Maverick as the upstream stable update for
Lucid, which I just sent out will contain the new patch (just without stating
the cve in our way of tagging). We could just revert the old patch there.

Will prepare something for Maverick.

-Stefan

Old 12-12-2011, 01:19 PM
Stefan Bader

On 12.12.2011 15:07, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 12/07/2011 09:46 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:

>> Benjamin Poirier from SUSE had been looking at this one, too. And we had brief
>> discussion. While the simple fix we took from RedHat will likely work, it is not
>> really restoring a previous behavior as I had been thinking. This alternate
>> approach is now queued in 2.6.32.y and when that hits, we could revert the other
>> patch. And we likely would then want to do the same for all the combinations of
>> other places where the same patch has been added.
>>
>> -Stefan
>
> So, you're kind of confusing me about which patches get reverted in what
> release. Perhaps you could send pull requests for each release that demonstrate
> exactly how you'd like each release to look.
>
> rtg

The following changes since commit b6b7ef7ca0aa2ed75478ab2257544271aca245a4:

KEYS: Fix a NULL pointer deref in the user-defined key type, CVE-2011-4110
(2011-12-06 13:22:15 -0700)

are available in the git repository at:
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/smb/ubuntu-maverick.git CVE-2011-1576

Benjamin Poirier (1):
gro: reset vlan_tci on reuse

Stefan Bader (1):
Revert "core: Fix memory leak/corruption on VLAN GRO_DROP, CVE-2011-1576"

net/core/dev.c | 4 +---