Old 12-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Seth Forshee

Default Ack: large mmap() support

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 05:30:32PM +0100, Paolo Pisati wrote:
> BugLink: http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/861296
>
> SRU Justification:
>
> Impact:
>
> Mmap() fails to allocate large chunks of contiguos memory due to limitations in the allocation strategy.
>
> Testcase:
>
> See mmap-test.c and mmap-test-slices.c attached to the LP bug.
>
> Fix:
>
> The patches are not mainline yet but entered rmk patch system (and thus should be in the 3.3 merge window).
> (http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/viewpatch.php?id=7169/1)

The fact that they're in the patch system doesn't necessarily mean that
they'll be merged, since afaict Russell hasn't yet weighed in on them.
Still, they have good acks and have been tested in the Linaro tree for a
couple of weeks, so they seem likely to make it.

The first one looks perfectly reasonable to me. I don't feel fully
qualified to comment on the correctness of the second patch, but I don't
see any deal-breakers. The backports also look reasonable, except that
for lucid patch 2 should precede patch 3 to ensure that every commit can
build. Assuming that is done:

Acked-by: Seth Forshee <seth.forshee@canonical.com>