Old 11-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Joseph Salisbury

Default Minutes from the Ubuntu Kernel Team meeting, 2011-11-29

= Meeting Minutes =
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/11/29/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt
http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam

== Agenda ==
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting

=== ARM Status ===
No new update.

=== Release Metrics and Incoming Bugs ===
==== precise nominated bugs ====
* 32 linux kernel bugs (up 12)
==== Ubuntu precise-alpha-1 bugs ====
* 1 linux kernel bugs (up 1)
==== <series>-updates bugs ====
* 0 precise linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
* 10 oneiric linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
* 10 natty linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
* 3 maverick linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
* 7 lucid linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
* 0 hardy linux kernel bugs (no change 0)
=== Incoming Bugs ===
* 8 precise bugs (no change 0)
* 635 oneiric bugs (down 5)
* 1677 natty bugs (down 3)
* 1099 maverick bugs (no change 0)
* 979 lucid bugs (down 4)
* 43 hardy bugs (down 3)
=== Regressions ===
==== regression-update bugs ====
* 0 precise bugs (no change 0)
* 7 oneiric bugs (no change 0)
* 19 natty bugs (no change 0)
* 40 maverick bugs (no change 0)
* 76 lucid bugs (no change 0)
* 0 hardy bugs (no change 0)
==== regression-release bugs ====
* 1 precise bugs (no change 0)
* 61 oneiric bugs (up 6)
* 434 natty bugs (no change 0)
* 236 maverick bugs (no change 0)
* 208 lucid bugs (no change 0)
* 2 hardy bugs (no change 0)
==== regression-proposed bugs ====
* 0 precise bugs (no change 0)
* 1 oneiric bugs (no change 0)
* 4 natty bugs (no change 0)
* 0 maverick bugs (no change 0)
* 2 lucid bugs (no change 0)
* 0 hardy bugs (no change 0)

Release Metrics and Incoming Bug data not available this week due to
script failure.

Script is fixed and data will be avaialbe next week.

=== Milestone Targeted Work Items ===
|| apw || hardware-p-kernel-boot || 3 work items ||
|| || hardware-p-kernel-delta-review || 1 work item ||
|| || foundations-p-ipv6 || 1 work item ||
|| cking || hardware-p-kernel-delta-review || 1 work item ||
|| ogasawara || hardware-p-kernel-version-and-flavors || 1 work item ||
|| tgardner || hardware-p-kernel-version-and-flavors || 1 work item ||
|| || hardware-p-kernel-delta-review || 1 work item ||
If your name is in the above table, please review your Alpha-1 work
items and either get them closed or push them out to the next milestone.
Remember, Alpha-1 is Thurs Dec 1.

=== Blueprint: hardware-p-kernel-power-management ===
Power Management:
* i386 vs i386-pae vs amd64 power measurements; various user space
scenarios

* instrument ACPI battery information against different scenarios
* use ACPI battery analysis to improve powerstat, push out V0.00.04
* instrument unity 2D vs 3D in a limited set of tests
* started instrumenting powertop tunables on sandybridge H/W, compare
to Win7

We have uploaded the 3.2.0-2.5 Ubuntu kernel which was based on the
latest upstream v3.2-rc3 kernel. Please install and test on any kit you
have. Feedback is appreciated. We are in a soft freeze for Alpha-1, we
do not intend any uploads until after the milestone.

Important Upcoming Dates:
* Thurs Dec 1 - Alpha 1 (2 days)
* Thurs Feb 2 - Alpha 2 (~ 9 weeks)

=== CVE Metrics ===

Currently open CVEs for each supported branch:

|| Package || Open ||
|| || ||
|| linux Hardy || 11 (+3) ||
|| linux Lucid || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux Maverick || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux Natty || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux Oneiric || 5 (+1) ||
|| linux Precise || 5 (+1) ||
|| linux-ec2 Lucid || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux-fsl-imx51 Lucid || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux-mvl-dove Lucid || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux-mvl-dove Maverick || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Maverick || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Natty || 8 (+2) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Oneiric || 5 (+1) ||
|| linux-ti-omap4 Precise || 5 (+1) ||
|| linux-lts-backport-maverick Lucid || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux-lts-backport-natty Lucid || 8 (+3) ||
|| linux-lts-backport-oneiric Lucid || 5 (+1) ||

We gained yet another 5 CVEs this week. We closed out a couple. Two of
the new CVEs await upstream fixes.

Oneiric/Natty/Maverick/Lucid/Hardy ===

Last week saw the verification and testing of the current -proposed
updates. Here is the status for the main kernels, until yesterday (28/11):
* Hardy - 2.6.24-30.97
* prep'd and uploaded
* Lucid - 2.6.32-36.79
* waiting on the completion of certification
* Maverick - 2.6.35-31.63
* prep'd and uploaded
* Natty - 2.6.38-13.53
* prep'd and uploaded
* Oneiric - 3.0.0-14.23
* In verification phase, 4 bugs needing verification.

For more details, current opened tracking bugs can be seen at
http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/kernel-sru-workflow.html

For SRUs, SRU report is a good source of information:
http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/sru-report.html

=== Open Discussion or Questions? Raise your hand to be recognized ===
* Discussion about uploading non-pae kernels and fixing the Apple MAC
installs as well as the crda stuff.

* Is the installer ready for us to use generic ?

* Hesitation about removing the non-pae kernel so close to the milestone
without giving more of a heads up.

* Goal is prior to Alpha 2.

* A work item will be listed for for the installer work.

* The crda bits are not critical for alpha1? I could see an upload for
the apple mac installs, or just release noting it for now.

* Wireless-crda converted to a meta package and uploaded
* Apple can be release noted.