Old 11-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Tim Gardner

Default APPLIED: UBUNTU: Add pata_macio to pata-modules

applied to Precise
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 11-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Colin Watson

On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 12:37:44PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> applied to Precise

Thanks for applying this.

Actually, though; would you consider simply building in pata_macio on
powerpc? Booting a desktop CD in qemu runs into
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=641210, and it looks as
though the Debian kernel maintainers felt that building the module in
was the simplest way around the lack of autoloading in this case.

Thanks,

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 11-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 12:15:12PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 12:37:44PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> > applied to Precise
>
> Thanks for applying this.
>
> Actually, though; would you consider simply building in pata_macio on
> powerpc? Booting a desktop CD in qemu runs into
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=641210, and it looks as
> though the Debian kernel maintainers felt that building the module in
> was the simplest way around the lack of autoloading in this case.
>
> Thanks,

Having read the description in that bug it does seem that these devices
can be connected to PCI (discoverable) and some MACIO platform driver
(non-discoverable). Pretty much the only way to support those MACIO
connected versions is to build this driver in; vile though that is.

I have pushed a further update to precise switching this to =y.

-apw

Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Tim Gardner

Actually, though; would you consider simply building in pata_macio on
powerpc? Booting a desktop CD in qemu runs into
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=641210, and it looks as
though the Debian kernel maintainers felt that building the module in
was the simplest way around the lack of autoloading in this case.

Thanks,

Having read the description in that bug it does seem that these devices
can be connected to PCI (discoverable) and some MACIO platform driver
(non-discoverable). Pretty much the only way to support those MACIO
connected versions is to build this driver in; vile though that is.

I have pushed a further update to precise switching this to =y.

-apw

works for me.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com