-   -   Device categories for testing purposes (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/601928-device-categories-testing-purposes.html)

Marc Tardif 11-23-2011 09:04 PM

Device categories for testing purposes

Hi folks,

Your feedback would be much appreciated to come up with a list of
categories for testing the kernel over a minimal set of systems with
unique devices. For example, lets say I'm interested in testing audio
across many systems, I would like to be given the minimal set of systems
with unique devices having the PCI class/subclass:

Multimedia controller/Audio device, or
Multimedia controller/Multimedia audio controller

or having the USB class/subclass:

Audio/Control Device, or
Audio/MIDI Streaming, or
Audio/Streaming

At this point, I'm only interested in coming up with a mapping of PCI
and USB device class/subclass to a list of testing categories that are
most likely to be relevant for testing purposes. The following table is a
first draft where we currently have the categories: modem, video, audio,
storage, capture, network, wireless, processor, video, bluetooth. The
category "x" is used to indicate it might not be relevant.

Bus Device Class/Subclass Testing Category
pci Bridge x
pci Bridge/CardBus bridge x
pci Bridge/EISA bridge x
pci Bridge/Host bridge x
pci Bridge/InfiniBand to PCI host bridge x
pci Bridge/ISA bridge x
pci Bridge/MicroChannel bridge x
pci Bridge/NuBus bridge x
pci Bridge/PCI bridge x
pci Bridge/PCMCIA bridge x
pci Bridge/RACEway bridge x
pci Bridge/Semi-transparent PCI-to-PCI bridge x
pci Communication controller x
pci Communication controller/GPIB controller x
pci Communication controller/Modem modem
pci Communication controller/Multiport serial controller x
pci Communication controller/Parallel controller x
pci Communication controller/Serial controller x
pci Communication controller/Smard Card controller x
pci Co-processor x
pci Display controller x
pci Display controller/3D controller x
pci Display controller/VGA compatible controller video
pci Display controller/XGA compatible controller x
pci Docking station/Docking Station x
pci Docking station/Generic Docking Station x
pci Encryption controller x
pci Encryption controller/Entertainment encryption device x
pci Encryption controller/Network and computing encryption device x
pci Generic system peripheral/DMA controller x
pci Generic system peripheral/PCI Hot-plug controller x
pci Generic system peripheral/PIC x
pci Generic system peripheral/RTC x
pci Generic system peripheral/SD Host controller x
pci Generic system peripheral/System peripheral x
pci Generic system peripheral/Timer x
pci Input device controller x
pci Input device controller/Digitizer Pen x
pci Input device controller/Gameport controller x
pci Input device controller/Keyboard controller x
pci Input device controller/Mouse controller x
pci Input device controller/Scanner controller x
pci Intelligent controller/I2O x
pci Mass storage controller x
pci Mass storage controller/ATA controller x
pci Mass storage controller/Floppy disk controller x
pci Mass storage controller/IDE interface storage
pci Mass storage controller/IPI bus controller x
pci Mass storage controller/Non-Volatile memory controller x
pci Mass storage controller/RAID bus controller storage
pci Mass storage controller/SATA controller storage
pci Mass storage controller/SCSI storage controller storage
pci Mass storage controller/Serial Attached SCSI controller x
pci Memory controller x
pci Memory controller/FLASH memory x
pci Memory controller/RAM memory x
pci Multimedia controller x
pci Multimedia controller/Audio device audio
pci Multimedia controller/Computer telephony device x
pci Multimedia controller/Multimedia audio controller audio
pci Multimedia controller/Multimedia video controller capture
pci Network controller/ATM network controller x
pci Network controller/Ethernet controller network
pci Network controller/FDDI network controller x
pci Network controller/ISDN controller x
pci Network controller/PICMG controller x
pci Network controller/Token ring network controller x
pci Network controller/WorldFip controller x
pci Network controller/Network controller wireless
pci Processor processor
pci Satellite controller/Satellite audio communication controller x
pci Satellite controller/Satellite data communication controller x
pci Satellite controller/Satellite TV controller x
pci Satellite controller/Satellite voice communication controller x
pci Serial bus controller/ACCESS Bus x
pci Serial bus controller/CANBUS x
pci Serial bus controller/Fibre Channel x
pci Serial bus controller/FireWire (IEEE 1394) x
pci Serial bus controller/InfiniBand x
pci Serial bus controller/IPMI SMIC interface x
pci Serial bus controller/SERCOS interface x
pci Serial bus controller/SMBus x
pci Serial bus controller/SSA x
pci Serial bus controller/USB Controller x
pci Signal processing controller x
pci Signal processing controller/Communication synchronizer x
pci Signal processing controller/DPIO module x
pci Signal processing controller/Performance counters x
pci Signal processing controller/Signal processing management x
pci Wireless controller x
pci Wireless controller/802.1a controller x
pci Wireless controller/802.1b controller x
pci Wireless controller/Bluetooth x
pci Wireless controller/Broadband x
pci Wireless controller/Consumer IR controller x
pci Wireless controller/IRDA controller x
pci Wireless controller/RF controller x
usb Application Specific Interface/Device Firmware Update x
usb Application Specific Interface/IRDA Bridge x
usb Application Specific Interface/Test and Measurement x
usb Audio/Control Device audio
usb Audio/MIDI Streaming audio
usb Audio/Streaming audio
usb CDC Data x
usb Communications/Abstract (modem) x
usb Communications/ATM Networking x
usb Communications/CAPI Control x
usb Communications/Device Management x
usb Communications/Direct Line x
usb Communications/Ethernet Emulation x
usb Communications/Ethernet Networking x
usb Communications/Mobile Direct Line x
usb Communications/Multi-Channel x
usb Communications/OBEX x
usb Communications/Telephone x
usb Communications/Wireless Handset Control x
usb Diagnostic/Reprogrammable Diagnostics x
usb Human Interface Device/Boot Interface Subclass x
usb Human Interface Device/No Subclass x
usb Imaging/Still Image Capture x
usb Mass Storage/Floppy (UFI) x
usb Mass Storage/QIC-157 x
usb Mass Storage/RBC (typically Flash) x
usb Mass Storage/SCSI x
usb "Mass Storage/SFF-8020i MMC-2 (ATAPI)" x
usb Mass Storage/SFF-8070i x
usb Printer x
usb Video video
usb Video/Video Control video
usb Video/Video Interface Collection video
usb Video/Video Streaming video
usb Wireless/Radio Frequency bluetooth
usb Wireless/Wireless USB Wire Adapter wireless
usb Xbox/Controller x

--
Marc Tardif <marc.tardif@canonical.com>
Freenode: cr3, Jabber: cr3@jabber.org

David Henningsson 11-24-2011 06:59 AM

Device categories for testing purposes

Your feedback would be much appreciated to come up with a list of
categories for testing the kernel over a minimal set of systems with
unique devices. For example, lets say I'm interested in testing audio
across many systems, I would like to be given the minimal set of systems
with unique devices having the PCI class/subclass:

Multimedia controller/Audio device, or
Multimedia controller/Multimedia audio controller

or having the USB class/subclass:

Audio/Control Device, or
Audio/MIDI Streaming, or
Audio/Streaming

For audio, please remember

https://bugs.launchpad.net/checkbox/+bug/876245
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hexr/+bug/784741

...for determining different kinds of audio devices.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

Colin Ian King 11-24-2011 08:51 AM

On 23/11/11 22:04, Marc Tardif wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Your feedback would be much appreciated to come up with a list of
> categories for testing the kernel over a minimal set of systems with
> unique devices. For example, lets say I'm interested in testing audio
> across many systems, I would like to be given the minimal set of systems
> with unique devices having the PCI class/subclass:
>
> Multimedia controller/Audio device, or
> Multimedia controller/Multimedia audio controller
>
> or having the USB class/subclass:
>
> Audio/Control Device, or
> Audio/MIDI Streaming, or
> Audio/Streaming
>
> At this point, I'm only interested in coming up with a mapping of PCI
> and USB device class/subclass to a list of testing categories that are
> most likely to be relevant for testing purposes. The following table is a
> first draft where we currently have the categories: modem, video, audio,
> storage, capture, network, wireless, processor, video, bluetooth. The
> category "x" is used to indicate it might not be relevant.
Does this include testing on-board USB3 controllers that appear on
modern machines?

Marc Tardif 11-24-2011 08:58 PM

Device categories for testing purposes

* Colin Ian King <colin.king@canonical.com> [2011-11-24 09:51 +0000]:
> On 23/11/11 22:04, Marc Tardif wrote:
> > Your feedback would be much appreciated to come up with a list of
> > categories for testing the kernel over a minimal set of systems with
> > unique devices. For example, lets say I'm interested in testing audio
> > across many systems, I would like to be given the minimal set of systems
> > with unique devices having the PCI class/subclass:
> >
> > Multimedia controller/Audio device, or
> > Multimedia controller/Multimedia audio controller
> >
> > or having the USB class/subclass:
> >
> > Audio/Control Device, or
> > Audio/MIDI Streaming, or
> > Audio/Streaming
> >
> > At this point, I'm only interested in coming up with a mapping of PCI
> > and USB device class/subclass to a list of testing categories that are
> > most likely to be relevant for testing purposes. The following table is a
> > first draft where we currently have the categories: modem, video, audio,
> > storage, capture, network, wireless, processor, video, bluetooth. The
> > category "x" is used to indicate it might not be relevant.
>
> Does this include testing on-board USB3 controllers that appear on
> modern machines?

If this is of particular interest, we could add the "usb" testing category
for the following PCI device class/subclass:

> > Bus Device Class/Subclass Testing Category
[snip]

Colin Ian King 11-24-2011 10:30 PM

On 24/11/11 21:58, Marc Tardif wrote:
> * Colin Ian King <colin.king@canonical.com> [2011-11-24 09:51 +0000]:
>> On 23/11/11 22:04, Marc Tardif wrote:
>>> Your feedback would be much appreciated to come up with a list of
>>> categories for testing the kernel over a minimal set of systems with
>>> unique devices. For example, lets say I'm interested in testing audio
>>> across many systems, I would like to be given the minimal set of systems
>>> with unique devices having the PCI class/subclass:
>>>
>>> Multimedia controller/Audio device, or
>>> Multimedia controller/Multimedia audio controller
>>>
>>> or having the USB class/subclass:
>>>
>>> Audio/Control Device, or
>>> Audio/MIDI Streaming, or
>>> Audio/Streaming
>>>
>>> At this point, I'm only interested in coming up with a mapping of PCI
>>> and USB device class/subclass to a list of testing categories that are
>>> most likely to be relevant for testing purposes. The following table is a
>>> first draft where we currently have the categories: modem, video, audio,
>>> storage, capture, network, wireless, processor, video, bluetooth. The
>>> category "x" is used to indicate it might not be relevant.
>> Does this include testing on-board USB3 controllers that appear on
>> modern machines?
> If this is of particular interest, we could add the "usb" testing category
> for the following PCI device class/subclass:
I'm not sure if we class it "of interest" or not. However, I think we
need to be sure we cover USB 3.0 for certification, I'd hate to buy a
brand new certified box and find USB 3.0 does not work. And this is true
for most new Intel kit I believe...

Marc Tardif 11-25-2011 02:00 PM

Device categories for testing purposes

* Colin Ian King <colin.king@canonical.com> [2011-11-24 23:30 +0000]:
> On 24/11/11 21:58, Marc Tardif wrote:
> > * Colin Ian King <colin.king@canonical.com> [2011-11-24 09:51 +0000]:

> >> Does this include testing on-board USB3 controllers that appear on
> >> modern machines?
> > If this is of particular interest, we could add the "usb" testing category
> > for the following PCI device class/subclass:
> I'm not sure if we class it "of interest" or not. However, I think we
> need to be sure we cover USB 3.0 for certification, I'd hate to buy a
> brand new certified box and find USB 3.0 does not work. And this is true
> for most new Intel kit I believe...

The objective is to generate a minimal set of systems with unique
devices for testing purposes. If you expect to see several unique
USB 3.0 devices which should all be tested, then a testing category
should be defined. Otherwise, if you just want to make sure that the
USB 3.0 protocol is working correctly on just one compatible device,
then there should be no need for such a category. Please let me know
which of the two would be desirable.

PS. I have subscribed you to a bug in order to make sure your request
to test for USB 3.0 as part of certification is not forgotten.