Old 10-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Eric Appleman

Default Out of tree modules and Mainline kernels?

Hi, I've been using the 3.1 daily and RC kernels in order to facilitate testing
of new Nouveau features, but I've been encountering soft kernel panics whenever
I try to load OOT modules such as the Nvidia blob or ACPI call.

Is there any way around this (minus rolling) or do I need to wait for Precise
kernels?

Source:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7482469/why-is-this-kernel-module-marked-at-permanent-on-2-6-39

Thanks.

- Eric

Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 PM
Eric Appleman

Eric Appleman <erappleman <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I've been using the 3.1 daily and RC kernels in order to facilitate testing
> of new Nouveau features, but I've been encountering soft kernel panics whenever
> I try to load OOT modules such as the Nvidia blob or ACPI call.
>
> Is there any way around this (minus rolling) or do I need to wait for Precise
> kernels?
>
> Source:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7482469/why-is-this-kernel-module-marked-at-permanent-on-2-6-39

> Thanks.
>
> - Eric

Here's my kernel log.
http://pastebin.com/iertSkyZ

Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 06:01:31PM +0000, Eric Appleman wrote:
> Hi, I've been using the 3.1 daily and RC kernels in order to facilitate testing
> of new Nouveau features, but I've been encountering soft kernel panics whenever
> I try to load OOT modules such as the Nvidia blob or ACPI call.
>
> Is there any way around this (minus rolling) or do I need to wait for Precise
> kernels?
>
> Source:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7482469/why-is-this-kernel-module-marked-at-permanent-on-2-6-39

After some recent experimentation it seems that installing OOT packages
in a Lucid chroot and then copying them into the main root is
successful.

-apw