-   -   APPLIED: UBUNTU: SAUCE: x86: reboot: Make Dell Latitude E6520 use reboot=pci (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/570649-applied-ubuntu-sauce-x86-reboot-make-dell-latitude-e6520-use-reboot-pci.html)

Leann Ogasawara 08-31-2011 07:17 PM

On Wed, 2011-08-31 at 12:38 -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 08/31/2011 11:25 AM, Leann Ogasawara wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/833705
> >
> > It's been reported that the Dell Latitude E6520 doesn't reboot unless
> > using reboot=pci. The following patch resolves this issue and had been
> > successfully tested by the bug reporter. I additionally sent this patch
> > upstream but was given some push back from one of the maintainers
> > because "we are starting to have something close to a full Dell product
> > catalog in the system. I think we need to come up with something more
> > systematic..."
> >
> > So with Kernel Freeze looming for Oneiric, the patch being system
> > specific (ie low risk of regression), precedence for similar quirk
> > patches already existing, and having received positive test results, I
> > feel it should be carried as a SAUCE patch until a more systematic
> > approach can be found which upstream will accept.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Leann
> >

> Did upstream have any suggestions ? I used to think device tree was the
> answer, but now I'm not as sure. Perhaps a sysfs interface and an
> application to send the right bits based on DMI info is whats needed.

Nope, no further suggestions, only what I quoted.

It has been brought to my attention that we're also starting to see this
reboot=pci quirk needed in some of the Dell Optiplex systems as well,
see LP bugs 800660 [1], 768039 [2], 818933 [3].

Do we have any contacts at Dell we should raise this with?

Thanks,
Leann

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/800660
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/768039