Old 07-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Dan Chen

Default Reboot not work on Dell OptiPlex 750 desktop at Ubuntu Natty distro

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:12, Sharl.Jimh.Tsin <amoiz.shine@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,all:
> * *i am using Ubuntu 11.04 Natty on my office's desktop which model is Dell
> OptiPlex 750 serials.recently i found that the "reboot" function of this OS
> never worked,it will make the OS hanged and with no response of the keyboard
> or mouse. only the Power button can kill the program.
> * *So,i just want to know that Is it a BUG of Power Manager or anything
> else? does someone also face this problem same with me?
> * *want a reply,thanks~

We can probably work around it by forcing a BIOS reboot through a
quirk entry in arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c. Please file a bug against the
linux source package, and ensure that the contents of
/sys/class/dmi/id/{sys_vendor,product_name} are included in the bug
report.

Cheers,
-Dan

Old 08-01-2011, 06:47 AM
"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin"

在 2011-07-30*的 13:10 -0400,Dan Chen写道:
> On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 11:12, Sharl.Jimh.Tsin <amoiz.shine@gmail.com> wrote:
> > hi,all:
> > i am using Ubuntu 11.04 Natty on my office's desktop which model is Dell
> > OptiPlex 750 serials.recently i found that the "reboot" function of this OS
> > never worked,it will make the OS hanged and with no response of the keyboard
> > or mouse. only the Power button can kill the program.
> > So,i just want to know that Is it a BUG of Power Manager or anything
> > else? does someone also face this problem same with me?
> > want a reply,thanks~
>
> We can probably work around it by forcing a BIOS reboot through a
> quirk entry in arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c. Please file a bug against the
> linux source package, and ensure that the contents of
> /sys/class/dmi/id/{sys_vendor,product_name} are included in the bug
> report.
>
> Cheers,
> -Dan

Ok, i will. please tell me how-to do that, i need step-by-step guide.

thanks a lot.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:41 AM
Matthew Garrett

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 01:10:16PM -0400, Dan Chen wrote:

> We can probably work around it by forcing a BIOS reboot through a
> quirk entry in arch/x86/kernel/reboot.c. Please file a bug against the
> linux source package, and ensure that the contents of
> /sys/class/dmi/id/{sys_vendor,product_name} are included in the bug
> report.

The BIOS reboot method isn't supported on 64-bit.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org