Old 07-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Tim Gardner

Default kernel ppa is empty?

On 07/18/2011 03:27 PM, ryan@iheartryan.com wrote:

Hi. I'm using Natty, and I'm trying to get the 2.6.39 version of the
kernel from the kernel-ppa.

I'm having a problem where ncpfs doesn't work.

According to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ncpfs/+bug/773211

what I ought to do is get the 2.6.39 kernel from the ppa.

The ppa seems to be empty. On the page
https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa

it says
"No matching package for '."

I added the ppa and updated, and there is no kernel update available.

What happend to these packages?

Thanks.
--Ryan

The kernel team does not officially maintain a 2.6.39 kernel. However,
you could try a mainline build from
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.39.3-oneiric/

rtg

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 07-19-2011, 08:56 PM
Leann Ogasawara

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 13:43 -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 07/18/2011 03:27 PM, ryan@iheartryan.com wrote:
> > Hi. I'm using Natty, and I'm trying to get the 2.6.39 version of the
> > kernel from the kernel-ppa.
> >
> > I'm having a problem where ncpfs doesn't work.
> >
> > According to
> > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1740878
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/762344
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ncpfs/+bug/773211
> >
> > what I ought to do is get the 2.6.39 kernel from the ppa.
> >
> > The ppa seems to be empty. On the page
> > https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa
> >
> > it says
> > "No matching package for '."
> >
> > I added the ppa and updated, and there is no kernel update available.
> >
> > What happend to these packages?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --Ryan
> >

> The kernel team does not officially maintain a 2.6.39 kernel. However,
> you could try a mainline build from
> http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.39.3-oneiric/

We seem to be getting quite a few of these types of inquiries where
users are getting the idea that the kernel-ppa in launchpad is something
we officially support. Anyone object if we try beef up the PPA
description to avoid such confusion?

Thanks,
Leann

Old 07-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Dan Chen

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 16:56, Leann Ogasawara
<leann.ogasawara@canonical.com> wrote:
> We seem to be getting quite a few of these types of inquiries where
> users are getting the idea that the kernel-ppa in launchpad is something
> we officially support. *Anyone object if we try beef up the PPA
> description to avoid such confusion?

Not only that, but perhaps the package descriptions could be clarified
to have a similar disclaimer.

Cheers,
-Dan

Old 07-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Tim Gardner

[...]

works for me.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 07-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Tim Gardner

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 16:56, Leann Ogasawara
We seem to be getting quite a few of these types of inquiries where
users are getting the idea that the kernel-ppa in launchpad is something
we officially support. Anyone object if we try beef up the PPA
description to avoid such confusion?

Not only that, but perhaps the package descriptions could be clarified
to have a similar disclaimer.

Cheers,
-Dan

How's this?

https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa

Ubuntu Kernel Team Daily Build PPA - this PPA typically contains
experimental packages. The quality of these packages is such that you
had better know what you're doing. Don't come crying to the kernel team
if it kills all of your kittens.

rtg

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 07-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Dan Chen

On Jul 20, 2011 5:27 PM, "Tim Gardner" <tim.gardner@canonical.com> wrote:

> How's this?

> https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa

> Ubuntu Kernel Team Daily Build PPA - this PPA typically contains experimental packages. The quality of these packages is such that you had better know what you're doing. Don't come crying to the kernel team if it kills all of your kittens.

Nice. Maybe toss in "unsupported" just to make things undeniably clear?

Cheers,

-Dan

Old 07-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Tim Gardner

<mailto:tim.gardner@canonical.com>> wrote:

> How's this?
>

> https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa
>
> Ubuntu Kernel Team Daily Build PPA - this PPA typically contains
experimental packages. The quality of these packages is such that you
had better know what you're doing. Don't come crying to the kernel team
if it kills all of your kittens.

Nice. Maybe toss in "unsupported" just to make things undeniably clear?

Cheers,
-Dan

Thats actually a bit lower in the 'Adding the PPA to your system'
instructions:

You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted
PPA by adding ppa:kernel-ppa/ppa to your system's Software Sources.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com