Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Vimal Chungath

Default kdump setup on maverick

Hi,

I was trying to setup kdump on my maverick (kernel version 2.6.35-28)
according to this article:
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kdump.html

I noticed there might be a few differences when it comes to ubuntu kernel.
For example, where is the kdump config file in case of ubuntu?

The crash kernel loads after a panic but the kdump does not actually kick in.
I think I have the kernel compilation part correct but not so sure
about other configuration required.
Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks,
Vimal Chungath

Old 07-19-2011, 08:29 PM
"Peter M. Petrakis"

On 07/18/2011 03:39 PM, Vimal Chungath wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was trying to setup kdump on my maverick (kernel version 2.6.35-28)
> according to this article:
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kdump.html
>
> I noticed there might be a few differences when it comes to ubuntu kernel.
> For example, where is the kdump config file in case of ubuntu?

I don't think we actually have one. It simply runs in initramfs, copies
the core to disk and reboots.

See /usr/share/initramfs-tools/scripts/init-bottom/0_kdump

> The crash kernel loads after a panic but the kdump does not actually kick in.
> I think I have the kernel compilation part correct but not so sure
> about other configuration required.
> Any pointers would be helpful.

Does /var/crash exist?

Peter