-   -   Ubuntu Kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/549855-ubuntu-kernel.html)

Pete Graner 07-08-2011 02:16 PM

Ubuntu Kernel

On 07/06/2011 10:14 PM, Tivano Edwin wrote:
> hey pete!
> i wanna ask something...
> can i upgrade natty kernel with the oneiric one?
> i have problem here, my laptop takes a long time to boot than usual...
> it's about 20 secs...

Hi Tivano,

The best place to ask this is the kernel team mailing list which I've
cc'd in for you.

Thanks

~pete

--
Pete Graner <pgraner@canonical.com>
Manager

Tim Gardner 07-08-2011 05:08 PM

Ubuntu Kernel

On 07/08/2011 08:16 AM, Pete Graner wrote:

On 07/06/2011 10:14 PM, Tivano Edwin wrote:

hey pete!
i wanna ask something...
can i upgrade natty kernel with the oneiric one?
i have problem here, my laptop takes a long time to boot than usual...
it's about 20 secs...

Hi Tivano,

The best place to ask this is the kernel team mailing list which I've
cc'd in for you.

Thanks

~pete

You can get the oneiric kernel directly from the archive, but it won't
be automatically updated as new versions appear. For example,

wget
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/linux-image-3.0-3-generic_3.0-3.4_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i linux-image-3.0-3-generic_3.0-3.4_amd64.deb

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Tiago Hillebrandt 04-04-2012 08:53 PM

Ubuntu Kernel

Hi folks,

I like to request an explanation involving differences between
kernel Ubuntu and Linux branch kernel. Here in Brazil have many
users questioning this and would be great if we would have an
detailed overview
from Kernel Team. Can anyone response
it? I would like to publish the answer
on Ubuntu-BR-SC blog (www.ubuntubrsc.com), a popular Ubuntu
Brazilian blog.

Thanks!

Tiago Hillebrandt

Ubuntu Member

Ubuntu Brazilian Community Council Member

Ubuntu-BR-SC LoCo Team Leader

Ubuntu Brazilian Portuguese Translators Team Leader

Blog: http://tiagohillebrandt.eti.br

Twitter: http://twitter.com/tiagoscd

Launchpad: http://launchpad.net/people/tiagohillebrandt

Google Talk: tiagohillebrandt@gmail.com

Tim Gardner 04-05-2012 12:53 PM

Ubuntu Kernel

On 04/04/2012 02:53 PM, Tiago Hillebrandt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I like to request an explanation involving differences between kernel
> Ubuntu and Linux branch kernel. Here in Brazil have many users
> questioning this and would be great if we would have an detailedoverview
> from Kernel Team.Can anyone response it?I would like to publish the
> answer on Ubuntu-BR-SC blog (www.ubuntubrsc.com), a popular Ubuntu
> Brazilian blog.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> --
> *Tiago Hillebrandt*
> Ubuntu Member
> Ubuntu Brazilian Community Council Member
> Ubuntu-BR-SC LoCo Team Leader
> Ubuntu Brazilian Portuguese Translators Team Leader
> Blog: http://tiagohillebrandt.eti.br
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/tiagoscd
> Launchpad: http://launchpad.net/people/tiagohillebrandt
> Google Talk: tiagohillebrandt@gmail.com

There are likely better ways to do it, but here is a script that shows
how I would look at all of the commits that are not in the mainline tree
(and are also not in the debian* or ubuntu directories)

git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-precise.git
cd ubuntu-precise
./delta.sh

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Leann Ogasawara 04-05-2012 04:41 PM

Ubuntu Kernel

On Thu, 2012-04-05 at 06:53 -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 04/04/2012 02:53 PM, Tiago Hillebrandt wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I like to request an explanation involving differences between kernel
> > Ubuntu and Linux branch kernel. Here in Brazil have many users
> > questioning this and would be great if we would have an detailedoverview
> > from Kernel Team.Can anyone response it?I would like to publish the
> > answer on Ubuntu-BR-SC blog (www.ubuntubrsc.com), a popular Ubuntu
> > Brazilian blog.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Regards,
> > --
> > *Tiago Hillebrandt*
> > Ubuntu Member
> > Ubuntu Brazilian Community Council Member
> > Ubuntu-BR-SC LoCo Team Leader
> > Ubuntu Brazilian Portuguese Translators Team Leader
> > Blog: http://tiagohillebrandt.eti.br
> > Twitter: http://twitter.com/tiagoscd
> > Launchpad: http://launchpad.net/people/tiagohillebrandt
> > Google Talk: tiagohillebrandt@gmail.com
> >

> There are likely better ways to do it, but here is a script that shows
> how I would look at all of the commits that are not in the mainline tree
> (and are also not in the debian* or ubuntu directories)
>
> git clone git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-precise.git
> cd ubuntu-precise
> ./delta.sh

Hi Tiago,

Along with the above script from Tim, I've also put together a wiki to
try and describe in a general manner the sets of changes we carry which
differentiate the Ubuntu kernel from the upstream Linux kernel:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/FAQ/UbuntuDelta

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need me to elaborate on anything.
Also, if anyone else on the team reviews the above, feel free to edit if
I've missed anything. I also took the liberty to reference it from the
main Kernel/FAQ page.

Thanks,
Leann

Tiago Hillebrandt 04-06-2012 04:10 PM

Ubuntu Kernel

[...]

Hi guys,

Thank you very much by take your precious time to response my
questions. The post explaning the difference between kernels Ubuntu
and Linux was published to Brazilian community.

http://www.ubuntubrsc.com/a-saga-do-kernel-ubuntu.html

All the best,