Old 07-05-2011, 01:39 AM
Tim Gardner

Default deleted packages in ubuntu lts ppa

On 07/02/2011 11:03 AM, Iustinian T. wrote:

Hi all,

Is there a reason why the Ubuntu PPA was emptied on 29 June 2011. Those
of us who rely on linux -virtual kernel images are going to be greatly
disappointed about missing essential updated kernel for our production
environment virtual machine client xenU.

https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=& field.series_filter=

Cheers,
Justin.timg@tpi.com

What exactly are you using the kernel-ppa for? You should be using one
of the LTS backport meta packages in Lucid, or otherwise using the
release for which the kernel was intended.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 07-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Tim Gardner

The Kernel PPA has never been used to provide officially supported
kernels. Its always been experimental. If you want an official LTS
backported kernel, then you must install it from the regular Lucid
archive, e.g.,

lucid:~$ apt-cache search linux-image|grep lts
linux-image-generic-lts-backport-maverick - Generic Linux kernel image
linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty - Generic Linux kernel image
linux-image-server-lts-backport-maverick - Linux kernel image on Server
Equipment.
linux-image-server-lts-backport-natty - Linux kernel image on Server
Equipment.
linux-image-virtual-lts-backport-maverick - Linux kernel image for
virtual machines
linux-image-virtual-lts-backport-natty - Linux kernel image for virtual
machines

Furthermore, use kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com for questions of this nature.

rtg