Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM
Tim Gardner

Default ARM: Dropping debian-installer armel+versatile kernel and netboot kernel

On 06/20/2011 03:17 PM, Loc Minier wrote:

Hey there

On armel, we currently have a versatile flavor of the linux packages
and a versatile netboot image of debian-installer. ARM Versatile was
added in Debian a long time ago and then in Ubuntu because it could be
run within QEMU. Nowadays in oneiric we have a linaro-vexpress kernel
flavor and a corresponding d-i netboot image which supports ARM
Versatile Express platforms.

I'd like to kill the old versatile stuff:
- ARM Versatile is an obsolete hardware platform (it got superseded by
ARM RealView and then ARM Versatile Express, and even that is getting
old)
- versatile boards only supports up to ARMv6 CPUs but Ubuntu's
userspace is ARMv7+, so we currently carry a patch to user an ARMv7
CPU in our linux versatile build, which is hackish. Vexpress
supports SMP with ARMv7 CPUs, but can of course still run a v5
userspace like Debian's. Basically, Vexpress should be technically
superior in all respects; notably, it can emulate 1024 MiB of RAM.
- this would cut down the build time of "linux" on armel by one flavor
out of two; perhaps from 28 hours to 14 hours
- however, the kernel tree is slightly different: the linaro-vexpress
flavor is based of linux-linaro which includes the Linaro kernel bits
while versatile is built of the linux source package, with less
patches over mainline

Is there any objection to the removal of the versatile bits?

NB: I'm seeing two annoying bugs with qemu/vexpress, which I think are
present with versatile as well: qemu stalls regularly when accessing
the emulated SD (LP #732223) but eventually proceeds; and some network
I/O is corrupted or interrupted (LP #799757), but retrying allows to
proceed. The latter prevents using things like debootstrap as it can't
do any retries.

Cheers,

I talked to Oliver Grawert about this. We are quite happy to drop the
distro versatile flavour in favor of the Linaro packaged
versatile-express kernel.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com