-   -   "PPA for Ubuntu Kernel PPA" (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/541999-ppa-ubuntu-kernel-ppa.html)

Jan Henke 06-20-2011 04:58 PM

"PPA for Ubuntu Kernel PPA"

Dear Sir or Madam,

you are maintaining the above mentioned PPA for Ubuntu. I appreciate
your work to provide a more regular than the twice a year update to
the Linux kernel for Ubuntu users. Unfortunately the PPA has not
been updated since the rc5 release of kernel 2.6.39. Therefore I
kindly request you to update that PPA more regularly with the
changes from kernel.org.

P.S.: Please also update the contact information of the user
"kernel-ppa" at launchpad. People using the contact facility there
get their messages rejected, since the primary contact information
is a closed mailing list.

--

Best Regards

Jan Henke

Daniel Chen 06-20-2011 05:45 PM

"PPA for Ubuntu Kernel PPA"

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Jan Henke <Jan.Henke@taujhe.de> wrote:
> [...] Unfortunately the PPA has not been updated since
> the rc5 release of kernel 2.6.39. Therefore I kindly request you to update
> that PPA more regularly with the changes from kernel.org.

Please see http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

Cheers,
-Dan

Jan Henke 06-20-2011 05:49 PM

"PPA for Ubuntu Kernel PPA"

Hi,

yes there is no Natty build after 2.6.39-rc4. Would it be so
difficult to provide updates for latest stable Ubuntu (now Natty)
additionally to the development version (now Oneiric)?

Regards

Jan

Daniel Chen 06-20-2011 05:56 PM

"PPA for Ubuntu Kernel PPA"

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Jan Henke <Jan.Henke@taujhe.de> wrote:
> yes there is no Natty build after 2.6.39-rc4.

Do you specifically need natty's kernel configuration, or will
oneiric's suffice? (The suffix only refers to the configuration.)

Cheers,
-Dan

Andy Whitcroft 06-20-2011 05:58 PM

"PPA for Ubuntu Kernel PPA"

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 06:58:24PM +0200, Jan Henke wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> you are maintaining the above mentioned PPA for Ubuntu. I appreciate
> your work to provide a more regular than the twice a year update to the
> Linux kernel for Ubuntu users. Unfortunately the PPA has not been
> updated since the rc5 release of kernel 2.6.39. Therefore I kindly
> request you to update that PPA more regularly with the changes from
> kernel.org.

Those kernels are not really intended for direct consumption, they are
early previews of what will become either the next LTS Backports kernel
for Lucid or for the next development release kernel before the release
has opened. The Natty kernel is now officially backported into Lucid and
should be available under the linux-lts-backport-natty, and the latest
development kernel is uploaded to Oneiric and available there.

-apw

Jan Henke 06-20-2011 06:25 PM

"PPA for Ubuntu Kernel PPA"

Hi,

I understand that. But is there no official way for ubuntu users to
stay with the latest stable version, currently Natty, and still get
regular Kernel updates. i.e. each time a new major version is
officially released?

I am certain that I am not the only person looking to get the
improvements in the kernel development on their machine as soon as
the are released and do not want to wait another half a year or so
for the next complete Ubuntu release. I mean with a PPA I certainly
don't expect any official support in case of problems.

Especially for people using new hardware, which need the latest
kernel to run linux on their machines, otherwise the required
modules would be missing.

Regards

Jan