Old 06-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default Stable derivative branch handling

[This email is the result of a number of IRC conversations and chats
about derivative branch handing, particularly focused on ensuring that
we are maintaining forward progress on CVEs for all supported branches.]

The stable team has repsonsibilty for preparation of the master distro
kernels, uploading them, and shepherding them through the phases of the
stable cadance in a timely fashion.

From a kernel maintenance point of view this has meant that the greater
team has continued to review updates and apply those to the pending
branches (master-next et al). The stable team has then taken the current
contents of those pending branches and rolled those up and pushed them
onto the cadance conveyor.

Derivative branches have typically been rebased by the stable team where
that is successful with those being pushed to a domain expert on failure.
Typically such failures have not held up the cadance.

After some discussion on IRC it was decided that it is time we formalised
the process for derivative branches and the interactions between the core
team and the domain experts for preparing kernels for release, such that we
have formal checkpoints in the stable cadance to ensure that the derivative
branches are updated when required but do not prevent forward progress.

To this end once the main distro kernel tree are prepared the kernel
stable team will announce their availability to the derivative branch
maintainers. This will indicate that the master branches are now ready
for rebasing onto where that is appropriate. The derivative maintainers
will then rebase if required and determine if their branch has anything
worthy of an upload. If so they will reply to the announcement adding
their branch to the versions to pushed this cycle. The stable team will
then handle closing and uploading this branch with the main branches.
If the derivative branches are not ready in time for upload, they will
simply slip to the next cadance round.

The current derivative branch maintainers are:

- smb: Lucid -ec2
- ppisati: everything arm

Comments?

-apw

Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Paolo Pisati

On 06/13/2011 03:46 PM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:

> To this end once the main distro kernel tree are prepared the kernel
> stable team will announce their availability to the derivative branch
> maintainers. This will indicate that the master branches are now ready
> for rebasing onto where that is appropriate. The derivative maintainers
> will then rebase if required and determine if their branch has anything
> worthy of an upload. If so they will reply to the announcement adding
> their branch to the versions to pushed this cycle. The stable team will
> then handle closing and uploading this branch with the main branches.
> If the derivative branches are not ready in time for upload, they will
> simply slip to the next cadance round.
>
> The current derivative branch maintainers are:
>
> - smb: Lucid -ec2
> - ppisati: everything arm

what about all the others non-rebasable branches?

so far there's only one arm rebasable branch (lucid/mvl-dove) vs 4 arm
branches (lucid/imx51, [maverick|natty|oneiric]/ti-omap4) that need to
be manually maintained, but i don't think we can do much about them (and
i fear the number of these branches will increase in the future).

other than that, i'm ok with it.
--
bye,
p.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Paolo Pisati

Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 04:02:22PM +0200, Paolo Pisati wrote:
> On 06/13/2011 03:46 PM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> >
> > To this end once the main distro kernel tree are prepared the kernel
> > stable team will announce their availability to the derivative branch
> > maintainers. This will indicate that the master branches are now ready
> > for rebasing onto where that is appropriate. The derivative maintainers
> > will then rebase if required and determine if their branch has anything
> > worthy of an upload. If so they will reply to the announcement adding
> > their branch to the versions to pushed this cycle. The stable team will
> > then handle closing and uploading this branch with the main branches.
> > If the derivative branches are not ready in time for upload, they will
> > simply slip to the next cadance round.
> >
> > The current derivative branch maintainers are:
> >
> > - smb: Lucid -ec2
> > - ppisati: everything arm
>

> what about all the others non-rebasable branches?
>
> so far there's only one arm rebasable branch (lucid/mvl-dove) vs 4 arm
> branches (lucid/imx51, [maverick|natty|oneiric]/ti-omap4) that need to
> be manually maintained, but i don't think we can do much about them (and
> i fear the number of these branches will increase in the future).
>
> other than that, i'm ok with it.

If you have non-rebase branches you are maintaining (and you do) then
when the master branches are ready and announced that is an appropriate
time to reply and also indicate which of those branches have patches
which warrent uploading, do indicate if there are any CVEs as well.
That should have been clearer in this write up.

-apw

Old 06-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Old 06-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Stefan Bader

On 13.06.2011 15:46, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> [This email is the result of a number of IRC conversations and chats
> about derivative branch handing, particularly focused on ensuring that
> we are maintaining forward progress on CVEs for all supported branches.]
>
> The stable team has repsonsibilty for preparation of the master distro
> kernels, uploading them, and shepherding them through the phases of the
> stable cadance in a timely fashion.
>
> From a kernel maintenance point of view this has meant that the greater
> team has continued to review updates and apply those to the pending
> branches (master-next et al). The stable team has then taken the current
> contents of those pending branches and rolled those up and pushed them
> onto the cadance conveyor.
>
> Derivative branches have typically been rebased by the stable team where
> that is successful with those being pushed to a domain expert on failure.
> Typically such failures have not held up the cadance.
>
> After some discussion on IRC it was decided that it is time we formalised
> the process for derivative branches and the interactions between the core
> team and the domain experts for preparing kernels for release, such that we
> have formal checkpoints in the stable cadance to ensure that the derivative
> branches are updated when required but do not prevent forward progress.
>
> To this end once the main distro kernel tree are prepared the kernel
> stable team will announce their availability to the derivative branch
> maintainers. This will indicate that the master branches are now ready
> for rebasing onto where that is appropriate. The derivative maintainers
> will then rebase if required and determine if their branch has anything
> worthy of an upload. If so they will reply to the announcement adding
> their branch to the versions to pushed this cycle. The stable team will
> then handle closing and uploading this branch with the main branches.
> If the derivative branches are not ready in time for upload, they will
> simply slip to the next cadance round.
>
> The current derivative branch maintainers are:
>
> - smb: Lucid -ec2
> - ppisati: everything arm
>
> Comments?
>
> -apw

Totally agree as, especially with the ec2 branch, it had a tendency to break on
rebase, or even worse not to break but missing important pieces in the cloned files.

-Stefan

Old 06-14-2011, 11:10 AM
David Henningsson

[...]

Is this relevant/helpful for maintaining other kernels (e g the
lowlatency stuff comes to mind), or is that a completely orthogonal
problem to this one?

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic

Old 06-14-2011, 11:48 AM
Stefan Bader

On 14.06.2011 13:10, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 2011-06-13 15:46, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
>> After some discussion on IRC it was decided that it is time we formalised
>> the process for derivative branches and the interactions between the core
>> team and the domain experts for preparing kernels for release, such that we
>> have formal checkpoints in the stable cadance to ensure that the derivative
>> branches are updated when required but do not prevent forward progress.
>>
>> To this end once the main distro kernel tree are prepared the kernel
>> stable team will announce their availability to the derivative branch
>> maintainers. This will indicate that the master branches are now ready
>> for rebasing onto where that is appropriate. The derivative maintainers
>> will then rebase if required and determine if their branch has anything
>> worthy of an upload. If so they will reply to the announcement adding
>> their branch to the versions to pushed this cycle. The stable team will
>> then handle closing and uploading this branch with the main branches.
>> If the derivative branches are not ready in time for upload, they will
>> simply slip to the next cadance round.
>>
>> The current derivative branch maintainers are:
>>
>> - smb: Lucid -ec2
>> - ppisati: everything arm
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Is this relevant/helpful for maintaining other kernels (e g the lowlatency stuff
> comes to mind), or is that a completely orthogonal problem to this one?

It is probably slightly different. The main difference is the degree of support
promised. The topic branches we provide have that promise, while the community
maintained kernels have not. So we follow closely (or try to) the master branch,
while for the other there is nothing guaranteeing that there will be a matching
release for every ubuntu-kernel version. So it is more relaxed when things are
done or whether at all.

-Stefan