Old 06-06-2011, 11:10 AM
lucian vidrascu

Default Linux Kernel 2.6.39.1 Stable

Hi,

Could you please advice where and when I could find*Linux Kernel 2.6.39.1 Stable (ppa) package for Natty.thanks in davancelucian

Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Stefan Bader

On 06.06.2011 13:10, lucian vidrascu wrote:

Hi,

Could you please advice where and when I could find Linux Kernel 2.6.39.1
Stable (ppa) package for Natty.
thanks in davance
lucian

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.39.1-oneiric/

The oneiric in the name means that the kernel configuration is based on the one
from oneiric. You still can install it into Natty, with the usual limitations
that a mainline build has (there is no guarantee everything works). There is no
PPA that provides 2.6.39 kernels for Natty.

-Stefan

Old 06-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Andy Whitcroft

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 02:10:56PM +0300, lucian vidrascu wrote:

> Could you please advice where and when I could find Linux Kernel 2.6.39.1
> Stable (ppa) package for Natty.
> thanks in davance

That would be the equivalent of a Oneiric backports kernel for Natty
which is not something we routinly produce or support.

There are mainline builds, but they do not contain any Ubuntu sauce, and
are not supported either.

-apw

Old 06-07-2011, 08:52 AM
luciany

Don't want to polemic; please just follow my scenario:
- installed Natty and had often X freezing
- followed the (ubuntu community) recommendation and updated to 2.6.39.0 for
Natty (from kernel PPA) - as a intermediate solution before the 2.6.39
stable would come out - I thought.
- 2.6.39.1 stable appeared, but surprise it's not for natty.

I just took my lesson.

Regards
lucian
PS: I'm stil having X freezing, sometimes

Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Stefan Bader

On 07.06.2011 10:52, luciany wrote:

> Don't want to polemic; please just follow my scenario:
> - installed Natty and had often X freezing
> - followed the (ubuntu community) recommendation and updated to 2.6.39.0 for
> Natty (from kernel PPA) - as a intermediate solution before the 2.6.39
> stable would come out - I thought.
> - 2.6.39.1 stable appeared, but surprise it's not for natty.

Lucian,

I can understand the problem. I just wanted to point out the implications. See
from my side, I don't know exactly what PPA you refer to. Natty itself was
released with 2.6.38, so any official updates to Natty will follow the 2.6.38.y
stable updates.

There is the mainline builds site which I was pointing you to. This contains
upstream kernels and those are a good tool to find out whether things are fixed
in newer kernels. But there are two issues with them. First, you cannot be sure
whether all of the user-space from a previous release works well (most namely X)
and second, as these are raw upstream kernels, you don't get additional drivers
that are only in the Ubuntu kernel (though luckily that number is not very
high). So while its is good for testing, you should always be aware of potential
problems. Those don't need to happen, but they can.

-Stefan