Old 06-05-2011, 04:43 AM
Steve Conklin

Default xhci: Fix full speed bInterval encoding.

Note, this is a notification of what I've already applied,
with justification for why I did it.

There was a patch that came down in several upstream
stable kernels which broke USB3 for some uses. That
patch was:

USB: xhci - fix math in xhci_get_endpoint_interval()

This patch was applied to Natty, Maverick, and Lucid
as part of recent stable upstream patch sets.

It was later discovered to have a problem:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/837082/

This new patch to fix the problem is:

xhci: Fix full speed bInterval encoding

This patch is in Greg's stable queue for every kernel
except 2.6.35 (Maverick). This is pretty obviously an
oversight. I've emailed Sarah Sharp and I'll follow up
to make sure it is submitted.

Despite the lack of it being in 2.6.35 stable and not
being released in a stable update yet, I decided to treat
it as a prestable patch. It's attached and is very
straightforward.

We're currently prepping for a kernel cycle that I hope
will have new kernels in -proposed within a few days.

This is being tracked in this bug:

Here is the history and status for each of our affected
kernels:

=== Natty ===

During -proposed testing of Natty during the last cycle,
the problem was noted, and because we were unable to have
the reporter help bisect the kernel, I reverted the three
xhci patches from Natty which had come in the stable update,
and respun it. This is the kernel that is on deck for the
current cycle. The Natty kernel currently in -proposed will
not be published to -updates.

In the Natty master-next branch, I have reapplied those
three patches, along with the fix patch.

=== Maverick ===

I added the fixer patch to the Maverick kernel which we
had already prepared for release and respun it. The
patch required manual help due to a context
difference, but was trivial.

=== Lucid ===

I added the fixer patch to the Lucid kernel which we
had already prepared for release, and respun it.

--
The fixer was not an ABI bump, so none of the
ABI-dependent packages needed to be respun.

=== Still to be done ===

1) The Lucid ec2 branch which is based off of the Lucid
master branch will need to be redone.

2) The Lucid lts-backports-maverick branch will have to
be redone.

3) The Lucid lts-backports-natty branch will have to
be redone. (apw, talk to me about this Monday)

Everything is tagged and pushed.

If anyone detects any problems with this, speak up soon.

Steve