Old 05-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Stefan Bader

Default Convert dm-raid45 to new block device plugging

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.I was discussing this with the maintainer. According to him the dm-raid45 code
is not developed further. The goal would be to convert the dmraid user-space
side to use dm-raid (which is a target for RAID4/5/6 that uses md).

However looking at any user-space code that was available to the public right
now, I do not see any support for this. The table format, which is used to
create the device-mapper targets is substantially different between the two
modules. So user-space would have to change accordingly (and I am not sure how
well all features would be supported at the moment).

So, at least for Oneiric, I think we need to stay with the dm-raid45. I tested
the change below on an Intel soft-RAID5 and it survived an iozone and a bonnie++
run.

-Stefan

Old 05-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Leann Ogasawara

Applied to Oneiric master-next. Slightly modified to separate the
config change from the code change. I also chose to revert the previous
disablement of CONFIG_DM_RAID45 instead so that it's easy to drop it
from existence upon the next rebase, eg.

Revert "UBUNTU: [Config] Disable CONFIG_DM_RAID45"

Thanks,
Leann