Old 05-23-2011, 02:06 PM
Colin King

Default S3 early resume debug via keyboard LEDs

From: Colin Ian King <colin.king@canonical.com>

Add support to debug early resume hangs by flashing the keyboard LEDs
three times. This should help us to see if S3 has successfully
transistioned out of the BIOS to the realmode path of early resume.

Add kernel parameter acpi_sleep=s3_leds to enable the s3 debugging
option. This can also be enabled by writing 8 to
/proc/sys/kernel/acpi_video_flags.

Colin Ian King (1):
UBUNTU: SAUCE: S3 early resume debug via keyboard LEDs

Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt | 5 ++++-
arch/x86/kernel/acpi/realmode/wakemain.c | 27 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
arch/x86/kernel/acpi/sleep.c | 2 ++

Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Tim Gardner

Add support to debug early resume hangs by flashing the keyboard LEDs
three times. This should help us to see if S3 has successfully
transistioned out of the BIOS to the realmode path of early resume.

Add kernel parameter acpi_sleep=s3_leds to enable the s3 debugging
option. This can also be enabled by writing 8 to
/proc/sys/kernel/acpi_video_flags.

Colin Ian King (1):
UBUNTU: SAUCE: S3 early resume debug via keyboard LEDs

Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt | 5 ++++-
arch/x86/kernel/acpi/realmode/wakemain.c | 27 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
arch/x86/kernel/acpi/sleep.c | 2 ++

This seems like a reasonable upstream addition. Have you sent it to Len
Brown et al ?

rtg@lochsa:~/proj/linux/linux-2.6$ scripts/get_maintainer.pl -f
arch/x86/kernel/acpi/realmode/wakemain.c

Len Brown <len.brown@intel.com> (supporter:SUSPEND TO RAM)
Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> (supporter:SUSPEND TO RAM)
"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@sisk.pl> (supporter:SUSPEND TO RAM)
Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> (maintainer:X86 ARCHITECTURE...)
Ingo Molnar <mingo@redhat.com> (maintainer:X86 ARCHITECTURE...)
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> (maintainer:X86 ARCHITECTURE...)
x86@kernel.org (maintainer:X86 ARCHITECTURE...)
linux-pm@lists.linux-foundation.org (open list:SUSPEND TO RAM)
linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org (open list)

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 05-27-2011, 02:55 PM
Colin Ian King

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 10:59 -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 05/23/2011 08:06 AM, Colin King wrote:
> > From: Colin Ian King<colin.king@canonical.com>
> >
> > Add support to debug early resume hangs by flashing the keyboard LEDs
> > three times. This should help us to see if S3 has successfully
> > transistioned out of the BIOS to the realmode path of early resume.
> >
> > Add kernel parameter acpi_sleep=s3_leds to enable the s3 debugging
> > option. This can also be enabled by writing 8 to
> > /proc/sys/kernel/acpi_video_flags.
> >
> > Colin Ian King (1):
> > UBUNTU: SAUCE: S3 early resume debug via keyboard LEDs
> >
> > Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt | 5 ++++-
> > arch/x86/kernel/acpi/realmode/wakemain.c | 27 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
> > arch/x86/kernel/acpi/sleep.c | 2 ++
> > 3 files changed, 33 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)
> >

> This seems like a reasonable upstream addition. Have you sent it to Len
> Brown et al ?

Not yet. In fact, I'd like to see how useful this is - does it give us
any real
useful debugging help or not in the Oneiric cycle. If it proves really
valuable, Id like to upstream it. My concern is that newer (cheaper
problematic) laptops may not have LEDs in them to use, so this becomes a
redundant debugging tool.

Colin