Old 05-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Stefan Bader

Default The future of iscsitarget

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.We currently carry iscsitarget as one of our ubuntu specific modules. Due to the
compile breaking for Oneiric, I was looking into this. I found that, at least
starting with Maverick, there is a source package iscsitarget which also
produces a dkms module. The code of both is nearly identical, but have already
diverged due to fixups done to the kernel side while the dkms version just
stayed at the last upstream version.

First question would be whether we really need iscsitarget at all as there is an
in kernel scsi target framework[1]. The answer may be yes, because people
(still) use it.

But then it is not very efficient to provide the kernel module in the kernel
itself and a dkms package. I would tend to say it should be removed from the
kernel tree and only be provided by dkms as then all the code from the
iscsitarget project is in one package, the module should not be important during
installation as it only allows to use the host as a target and when fixing the
dkms build in the iscsitarget package, the changes maybe flow back via debian to
the original project (though it looked a bit like there has been no
activity/changes since end of last year).

What would be other peoples thoughts on this?

-Stefan

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/424004/

Old 05-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Chuck Short

On Thu, 19 May 2011 16:43:51 +0200
Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@canonical.com> wrote:

> We currently carry iscsitarget as one of our ubuntu specific modules.
> Due to the compile breaking for Oneiric, I was looking into this. I
> found that, at least starting with Maverick, there is a source
> package iscsitarget which also produces a dkms module. The code of
> both is nearly identical, but have already diverged due to fixups
> done to the kernel side while the dkms version just stayed at the
> last upstream version.
>
> First question would be whether we really need iscsitarget at all as
> there is an in kernel scsi target framework[1]. The answer may be
> yes, because people (still) use it.
>
> But then it is not very efficient to provide the kernel module in the
> kernel itself and a dkms package. I would tend to say it should be
> removed from the kernel tree and only be provided by dkms as then all
> the code from the iscsitarget project is in one package, the module
> should not be important during installation as it only allows to use
> the host as a target and when fixing the dkms build in the
> iscsitarget package, the changes maybe flow back via debian to the
> original project (though it looked a bit like there has been no
> activity/changes since end of last year).
>
> What would be other peoples thoughts on this?
>
> -Stefan
>
> [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/424004/

Hi Stefan,

I think we should drop iscsitarget since I believe tgt has been
promoted to main in place of iscsitarget.

Regards
chuck