Old 05-14-2011, 09:09 PM
Anca Emanuel

Default Ubuntu 11.04 and gitk problem

Hi, all.

I try to run gitk from command line.

Steps to reproduce:
1. git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
2. cd linux-2.6
3. gitk

I can not run it. That kills my system (2GB RAM) and Unity as well.
Any ideeas ?

Old 05-14-2011, 09:23 PM
John Johansen

On 05/14/2011 11:09 PM, Anca Emanuel wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I try to run gitk from command line.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> 2. cd linux-2.6
> 3. gitk
>
> I can not run it. That kills my system (2GB RAM) and Unity as well.
> Any ideeas ?

gitk is rather memory intensive, when I do gitk at the root of the kernel tree it
has an RSS of 1.6 GB which will push a 2 GB machine well into swap and will likely
cause the oom killer to run

You should try pruning what you are looking at by either specifying a path
eg. gitk fs/ext4/

Or pruning of older history
eg. gitk v2.6.32..

Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Anca Emanuel

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM, John Johansen
<john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 05/14/2011 11:09 PM, Anca Emanuel wrote:
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> I try to run gitk from command line.
>>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>> 1. git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>> 2. cd linux-2.6
>> 3. gitk
>>
>> I can not run it. That kills my system (2GB RAM) and Unity as well.
>> Any ideeas ?
>>
> gitk is rather memory intensive, when I do gitk at the root of the kernel tree it
> has an RSS of 1.6 GB which will push a 2 GB machine well into swap and will likely
> cause the oom killer to run
>
> You should try pruning what you are looking at by either specifying a path
> *eg. gitk fs/ext4/

Tryied, and the same result.
Unity get killed, and I log on again.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Jeremy Kerr

Hi Anca,

> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> 2. cd linux-2.6
> 3. gitk
>
> I can not run it. That kills my system (2GB RAM) and Unity as well.
> Any ideeas ?

I was seeing the same (or similar?) during the Natty development cycle.
Turns out it was a bug in unity, fixed in 3.8.2-0ubuntu1:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/743011

Are you using an older version of unity?

Cheers,

Jeremy

Old 05-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Anca Emanuel

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Jeremy Kerr <jeremy.kerr@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi Anca,
>
>> Steps to reproduce:
>> 1. git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>> 2. cd linux-2.6
>> 3. gitk
>>
>> I can not run it. That kills my system (2GB RAM) and Unity as well.
>> Any ideeas ?
>
> I was seeing the same (or similar?) during the Natty development cycle.
> Turns out it was a bug in unity, fixed in 3.8.2-0ubuntu1:
>
> *https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/743011
>
> Are you using an older version of unity?

No.
I have the latest updates.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:12 PM
John Johansen

On 05/14/2011 02:39 PM, Anca Emanuel wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM, John Johansen
> <john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:
>> On 05/14/2011 11:09 PM, Anca Emanuel wrote:
>>> Hi, all.
>>>
>>> I try to run gitk from command line.
>>>
>>> Steps to reproduce:
>>> 1. git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>>> 2. cd linux-2.6
>>> 3. gitk
>>>
>>> I can not run it. That kills my system (2GB RAM) and Unity as well.
>>> Any ideeas ?
>>>
>> gitk is rather memory intensive, when I do gitk at the root of the kernel tree it
>> has an RSS of 1.6 GB which will push a 2 GB machine well into swap and will likely
>> cause the oom killer to run
>>
>> You should try pruning what you are looking at by either specifying a path
>> eg. gitk fs/ext4/
>
> Tryied, and the same result.
> Unity get killed, and I log on again.

does it work if you log in under the classic desktop?

Old 05-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Anca Emanuel

On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM, John Johansen
<john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 05/14/2011 02:39 PM, Anca Emanuel wrote:
>> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 12:23 AM, John Johansen
>> <john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:

>>> gitk is rather memory intensive, when I do gitk at the root of the kernel tree it
>>> has an RSS of 1.6 GB which will push a 2 GB machine well into swap and will likely
>>> cause the oom killer to run
>>>
>>> You should try pruning what you are looking at by either specifying a path
>>> *eg. gitk fs/ext4/
>>
>> Tryied, and the same result.
>> Unity get killed, and I log on again.
>
> does it work if you log in under the classic desktop?

No.
I tried also Classic Desktop No Effects. That was different: I need to
press the reset button from my PC.

It was working in Ubuntu 10.10. Not perfect, but I used it.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 AM
John Johansen

On 05/15/2011 10:49 AM, Anca Emanuel wrote:
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM, John Johansen
> <john.johansen@canonical.com> wrote:
>> On 05/14/2011 02:39 PM, Anca Emanuel wrote:

>>> Tryied, and the same result.
>>> Unity get killed, and I log on again.
>>
>> does it work if you log in under the classic desktop?
>>

> No.
> I tried also Classic Desktop No Effects. That was different: I need to
> press the reset button from my PC.
>
> It was working in Ubuntu 10.10. Not perfect, but I used it.

another experiments,

can you install a maverick kernel into your natty environment and boot from and try gitk
with that.

Old 05-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Anca Emanuel

> can you install a maverick kernel into your natty environment and boot from and try gitk
> with that.

Here it is: http://i.imgur.com/WARGH.png
I used http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/longterm/v2.6.35/linux-2.6.35.13.tar.bz2
and fbmem.c and fb.h from 2.6.39

I think I found the problem: gitk works if I boot with only one
monitor (every kernel).
If I connect my FullHD TV (1920x1080), then try gitk, my desktop gets killed.

dmesg: http://pastebin.com/EywtNVRF

Old 05-16-2011, 11:40 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Sun, 2011-05-15 at 00:09 +0300, Anca Emanuel wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> I try to run gitk from command line.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1. git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
> 2. cd linux-2.6
> 3. gitk
>
> I can not run it. That kills my system (2GB RAM) and Unity as well.
> Any ideeas ?

What you're supposed to do is to limit the number of commits it pulls in
in some way. Since I sometimes forget to do that, I defined a gitk
alias that limits its memory usage so it will die without taking
anything else with it:

gitk() { (ulimit -v 1000000 && exec gitk "$@"); }

Ben.

--