Old 05-07-2011, 03:28 AM
Pete Graner

Default Some queries regarding kernel in ubuntu

On 05/05/2011 01:45 PM, Sagar Sawant wrote:

Hello Pete

I wanted to know if the UBUNTU 11.04 kernel supports AMD FUSION APU?

Are all drivers for the same in place?

Is there support for the new VIA NANO X2 dual core CPU?

I am starting a computer assembling business with all PCs preloaded with
UBUNTU and want to know from that angle.

Regards

Sagar

Hi Segar,

The best place to ask these questions is the
kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com mailing list which I have cc'd this email to.

Thanks

~pete

--
Pete Graner <pgraner@canonical.com>
Manager

Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 AM
John Johansen

On 05/06/2011 08:28 PM, Pete Graner wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 01:45 PM, Sagar Sawant wrote:
>> Hello Pete
>>
>> I wanted to know if the UBUNTU 11.04 kernel supports AMD FUSION APU?

yes, though 2.6.38 is the first kernel to support fusion so there are
some known bugs. That said it runs well and even better with ati flgrx
driver.

>> Are all drivers for the same in place?

I am not sure I understand what you are asking, but I am going to say
no. There are the open source radeon drivers that are in kernel tree,
and then there is the proprietary ati flgrx driver which ubuntu gives
you the option install after the fact.

>> Is there support for the new VIA NANO X2 dual core CPU?

Not that I am aware of but I haven't followed to closely, but last I saw
support for these didn't look good as VIA is not putting any resources
into linux drivers