Old 04-17-2011, 07:00 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default Natty Final Upload

During fridays release meeting report, I raised the possibility of a
final kernel upload on Monday. This primarily based on a pending KVM fix,
without which installation under KVM cannot be localised.

I have reviewed all of the pending fixes on master-next (which includes
2.6.38.3 stable update). There are a number of possible information
leaks, but none which seem especially serious and could not wait for the
first SRU kernel. There are a few which are known to fix issues being
reported currently:

1) UBUNTU: SAUCE: kvm: fix push of wrong eip when doing softint,
2) rt2x00: Fix radio off hang issue for PCIE interface, and
3) Bluetooth: Fix HCI_RESET command synchonization.

The first of these is the KVM fix mentioned above, however having
reviewed the KVM fix it seems that this only affects the host side and
thus should only exhibit when the host is upgraded, this allows us to
SRU this fix safely.

The second of these is a shutdown crash which while unfortunate should
allow us to update the kernel as wireless functions normally until
shutdown. This should be SRUable.

The final one does does potentially affect a large number of bluetooth
devices including keyboards and mice. However it is not being widely
reported and it is rare for the bluetooth keyboard to be your only
input device. It seems likely we can handle this one via SRU also.

Based on this unless there is any futher specific fixes which really are
kitten killers, it does not seem necessary to upload again before release.
Though we likely should prepare for an early SRU upload.

Comments?

-apw

Old 04-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Leann Ogasawara

On Sun, 2011-04-17 at 20:00 +0100, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> During fridays release meeting report, I raised the possibility of a
> final kernel upload on Monday. This primarily based on a pending KVM fix,
> without which installation under KVM cannot be localised.
>
> I have reviewed all of the pending fixes on master-next (which includes
> 2.6.38.3 stable update). There are a number of possible information
> leaks, but none which seem especially serious and could not wait for the
> first SRU kernel. There are a few which are known to fix issues being
> reported currently:
>
> 1) UBUNTU: SAUCE: kvm: fix push of wrong eip when doing softint,
> 2) rt2x00: Fix radio off hang issue for PCIE interface, and
> 3) Bluetooth: Fix HCI_RESET command synchonization.
>
> The first of these is the KVM fix mentioned above, however having
> reviewed the KVM fix it seems that this only affects the host side and
> thus should only exhibit when the host is upgraded, this allows us to
> SRU this fix safely.
>
> The second of these is a shutdown crash which while unfortunate should
> allow us to update the kernel as wireless functions normally until
> shutdown. This should be SRUable.
>
> The final one does does potentially affect a large number of bluetooth
> devices including keyboards and mice. However it is not being widely
> reported and it is rare for the bluetooth keyboard to be your only
> input device. It seems likely we can handle this one via SRU also.
>
> Based on this unless there is any futher specific fixes which really are
> kitten killers, it does not seem necessary to upload again before release.
> Though we likely should prepare for an early SRU upload.
>
> Comments?

Hi Andy,

I'd agree with your above analysis. I say we just release note the
above issues and prep for an early SRU upload.

Leann

Old 04-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Pete Graner

[...]

+1 your proposal.

[...]