Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Leann Ogasawara

Default Ubuntu 11.04 Kernel Version - 2.6.38

Hi All,

With the Ubuntu 11.04 Beta-1 release approaching, the Ubuntu Kernel Team
felt this would be an appropriate time to officially announce that the
Ubuntu 11.04 kernel will be based on the 2.6.38 mainline kernel. The
decision to target a 2.6.38 kernel was made during the Kernel Version
and Flavors session [1] at UDS-Natty in Orlando, Florida. As Ubuntu
11.04 is not an LTS release and given the timing of the upstream kernel
release, the Ubuntu Kernel Team felt that targeting the 2.6.38 kernel
would provide our users the best support for new hardware, driver
updates, and bug fixes. Going forward, we'll continue to update the
Ubuntu 11.04 kernel with the upstream 2.6.38.y stable releases. For
those seeking the fine grained details of all the changes provided in
the Ubuntu 11.04 kernel, please refer to the git repository [2].

Thanks,
The Ubuntu Kernel Team

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/hardware-kernel-n-version-and-flavours
[2] http://kernel.ubuntu.com/git?p=ubuntu/ubuntu-natty.git;a=summary