Old 02-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Tim Gardner

Default fs: set root dir perms

On 02/22/2011 11:28 AM, Kees Cook wrote:

With the continuing deluge of bugs in the "debug" filesystem, I would
like to make that filesystem's root directory mode 0700 by default since
it's filled with crazy stuff that regular users do not need to see.

Better to try to just close the door completely on all the stuff in there.
It is, after all, supposed to only be used for debugging, right?

On the surface this doesn't look too bad. However, I'd kind of like to
let it cook upstream for awhile. Your email on LKML has a fairly wide
distribution, so the responses ought to be interesting.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Kees Cook

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:02:16PM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 11:28 AM, Kees Cook wrote:
> >With the continuing deluge of bugs in the "debug" filesystem, I would
> >like to make that filesystem's root directory mode 0700 by default since
> >it's filled with crazy stuff that regular users do not need to see.
> >
> >Better to try to just close the door completely on all the stuff in there.
> >It is, after all, supposed to only be used for debugging, right?
> >

> On the surface this doesn't look too bad. However, I'd kind of like
> to let it cook upstream for awhile. Your email on LKML has a fairly
> wide distribution, so the responses ought to be interesting.

Oh, er, I thought it was best to get it into Natty ASAP so that we could
shake out any obvious glitches it causes. That was the impression apw gave
me, anyway.

-Kees

--
Kees Cook