-   -   Which way to go for hdaps? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/49070-way-go-hdaps.html)

Stefan Bader 02-06-2008 08:47 PM

Which way to go for hdaps?

Hi,

this is some sort of hard to decide question: for ThinkPads there is a
driver (hdaps) which reads out the internal acceleration sensor some
models have built in. This driver exists twice, once in the kernel and
also in a sourceforge package (tp-smapi).
The tp-smapi version once was included for edgy and replaced the kernel
version. But since it did not went (as expected then) upstream it did
not make it into gutsy or hardy. The big downside of the tp-smapi stuff
is that (as far as I got the story) the (or one) contributes would not
reveal his/her identity. So mainline inclusion will not happen soon.
On the other hand. the mainline driver has less features and supposedly
more bugs. The tp-smapi package also adds some very useful features to
query/control the battery.
The most recent claim from mhg59: all questions as to the provenance of
the code got answered. (makes me wonder whose right)
In the end the question is: incorporate the tp-smapi code for hardy
again or not?

Stefan

Tim Gardner 02-07-2008 01:12 PM

Which way to go for hdaps?

Stefan Bader wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is some sort of hard to decide question: for ThinkPads there is a
> driver (hdaps) which reads out the internal acceleration sensor some
> models have built in. This driver exists twice, once in the kernel and
> also in a sourceforge package (tp-smapi).
> The tp-smapi version once was included for edgy and replaced the kernel
> version. But since it did not went (as expected then) upstream it did
> not make it into gutsy or hardy. The big downside of the tp-smapi stuff
> is that (as far as I got the story) the (or one) contributes would not
> reveal his/her identity. So mainline inclusion will not happen soon.
> On the other hand. the mainline driver has less features and supposedly
> more bugs. The tp-smapi package also adds some very useful features to
> query/control the battery.
> The most recent claim from mhg59: all questions as to the provenance of
> the code got answered. (makes me wonder whose right)
> In the end the question is: incorporate the tp-smapi code for hardy
> again or not?
>
> Stefan

How about a copy of the code so we can look the licensing and provenance?

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@ubuntu.com

Stefan Bader 02-07-2008 01:53 PM

Which way to go for hdaps?

> How about a copy of the code so we can look the licensing and provenance?

The code can be found at http://tpctl.sf.net

Stefan