Old 02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Loc Minier

Default crc32c-intel vs crc32c

Hi folks

While looking into an ARM specific issue today (LP #715835) I noticed
that we build crc32c into the kernel for x86/x86-64 kernels in Ubuntu,
but that we only build crc32c-intel as a module.

Thanks to some magic, crc32c-intel ends up in the initrd, and might or
might not get loaded from there on.

Would someone mind checking whether crc32c-intel gets loaded on SSE 4.2
hardware? (I don't have that)

Maybe it would make sense to build this module in the kernel? This is
particularly relevant if it does NOT get loaded on boot on SSE 4.2
systems.

Cheers,
--
Loc Minier

Old 02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Loc Minier

According to http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=608538
crc32c-intel NEVER gets autoloaded, crc32c is always preferred.

Probably we want to build it in the kernel?

On Wed, Feb 09, 2011, Loc Minier wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> While looking into an ARM specific issue today (LP #715835) I noticed
> that we build crc32c into the kernel for x86/x86-64 kernels in Ubuntu,
> but that we only build crc32c-intel as a module.
>
> Thanks to some magic, crc32c-intel ends up in the initrd, and might or
> might not get loaded from there on.
>
> Would someone mind checking whether crc32c-intel gets loaded on SSE 4.2
> hardware? (I don't have that)
>
> Maybe it would make sense to build this module in the kernel? This is
> particularly relevant if it does NOT get loaded on boot on SSE 4.2
> systems.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Loc Minier

Loc Minier

Old 02-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Tim Gardner

crc32c-intel NEVER gets autoloaded, crc32c is always preferred.

Probably we want to build it in the kernel?

Seems reasonable. Its a really small amount of code for a widely used
algorithm. CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C_INTEL=y for Natty.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com