-   -   Ubuntu 2.6.38-rc3 based OMAP4 kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-kernel-team/486113-ubuntu-2-6-38-rc3-based-omap4-kernel.html)

"Jan, Sebastien" 02-07-2011 01:05 PM

Ubuntu 2.6.38-rc3 based OMAP4 kernel

Hi Tim,
I have just prepared the (attached) kernel defconfig that builds against the current Ubuntu-natty master branch (80ff90a8a268 - Ubuntu-2.6.38-2.29). With the uImage generated, I can boot my pandaboard and have USB host + ethernet support (using mainline x-loader and u-boot).

(I have equivalent results since Linus mainline 2.6.38-rc3 version in fact).

Do you want me to generate a patch to add a new defconfig file to arch/arm/configs? Or is it sufficient for you to create the first 2.6.38 omap4 package?

Will you handle this new package with a new branch?

Thanks,Sebastien

--
Texas Instruments France SA, 821 Avenue Jack Kilby, 06270 Villeneuve Loubet. 036 420 040 R.C.S Antibes. Capital de EUR 753.920

Tim Gardner 02-07-2011 01:56 PM

Ubuntu 2.6.38-rc3 based OMAP4 kernel

I have just prepared the (attached) kernel defconfig that builds against the
current Ubuntu-natty master branch (80ff90a8a268 - Ubuntu-2.6.38-2.29). With
the uImage generated, I can boot my pandaboard and have USB host + ethernet
support (using mainline x-loader and u-boot).
(I have equivalent results since Linus mainline 2.6.38-rc3 version in fact).

Do you want me to generate a patch to add a new defconfig file to
arch/arm/configs? Or is it sufficient for you to create the first 2.6.38
omap4 package?

Will you handle this new package with a new branch?

Thanks,
Sebastien

I think we'll continue to carry omap4 as a separate package, and
therefore as a topic branch in the Natty git repo, currently ti-ompa4.

I assume the attached defconfig does not provide for a GUI, right?
Oliver says we need to at least have a GUI, otherwise the Live CD images
don't work too well.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

"Jan, Sebastien" 02-07-2011 02:01 PM

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com> wrote:
> On 02/07/2011 07:05 AM, Jan, Sebastien wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> I have just prepared the (attached) kernel defconfig that builds against
>> the
>> current Ubuntu-natty master branch (80ff90a8a268 - Ubuntu-2.6.38-2.29).
>> With
>> the uImage generated, I can boot my pandaboard and have USB host +
>> ethernet
>> support (using mainline x-loader and u-boot).
>> (I have equivalent results since Linus mainline 2.6.38-rc3 version in
>> fact).
>>
>> Do you want me to generate a patch to add a new defconfig file to
>> arch/arm/configs? Or is it sufficient for you to create the first 2.6.38
>> omap4 package?
>>
>> Will you handle this new package with a new branch?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sebastien
>
> I think we'll continue to carry omap4 as a separate package, and therefore
> as a topic branch in the Natty git repo, currently ti-ompa4.
>
> I assume the attached defconfig does not provide for a GUI, right? Oliver
> says we need to at least have a GUI, otherwise the Live CD images don't work
> too well.

Right, the video outputs are not supported yet with this .38 kernel,
so we will need to have both packages available for some weeks (2.6.35
based with video support and 2.6.38), using the 2.6.35 one for the
natty images now, and can switch to .38 when with have some video
support with it.
The idea is to start providing a 2.6.38 kernel package now to enable
testing with it.

"Dechesne, Nicolas" 02-07-2011 03:48 PM

Ubuntu 2.6.38-rc3 based OMAP4 kernel

Right, the video outputs are not supported yet with this .38 kernel,

so we will need to have both packages available for some weeks (2.6.35

based with video support and 2.6.38), using the 2.6.35 one for the

natty images now, and can switch to .38 when with have some video

support with it.

The idea is to start providing a 2.6.38 kernel package now to enable

testing with it.
Tim, in fact during the call oliver/ricardo mentioned that they would like to get started at least with a minimal console image based on .38 kernel. then we need to keep the current .35 based branch for the linux-image-2.6.35-xxx-omap4 package, and we need to make sure that linux-image-omap4 pulls this one, but we need a new linux-image-2.6.38-xxx-omap4 package with this minimal kernel so that anyone who wants a min console can use it. once we have display support we can update linux-image-omap4 to depend on the new one.

in the mean time we will need 2 branches in the git tree, ti-omap4-old (for the .35), and ti-omap4 for the new version.

nicolas

Oliver Grawert 02-07-2011 05:55 PM

Ubuntu 2.6.38-rc3 based OMAP4 kernel

hi,

[...]

just for clarification, we *need* a working graphics driver for image builds and testing, there is no way around it, so .35 needs to stay in the archive until we have a working graphics driver in .38....

additionally the headless ubuntu image is a feature goal for feature freeze, it might hit the distro really late and i would like to stay with .35 here too.

the option of having a .38 package in the archive was solely for testing purposes, not to build any images from it.

during an IRC discussion with the kernel team it turned out that we would get a problem with package naming and they would have double maintenance work. a suggestion was that we should serve the package from a kernel team PPA instead.

ciao

*** oli

Tim Gardner 02-07-2011 06:01 PM

[...]

OK, I had a chat with Oliver on IRC and this is what we came up with.

1) Leave the current Natty linux-ti-omap4 archive package as it is for
now, e.g. based on 2.6.35. This allows GUI work to proceed on Unity, etc.

2) Start a 2.6.38 based ti-omap4-dev branch in the Natty repository at
git://kernel.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-natty.git.

3) Upload the ti-omap4-dev branch source package to
http://ppa.launchpad.net/canonical-kernel-team/ppa/ubuntu, a
non-virtualized PPA that can build ARM packages. Note that the binaries
produced by the this upload will _not_ be tracked by a meta package.

This arrangement can only work until Natty kernel freeze. After that,
the c-k-t PPA will begin to be used for official Natty packages by the
stable team.

Do you think this will suffice?

rtg
--