Old 02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Andy Whitcroft

Default gdth: integer overflow in ioctl

CVE-2010-4157

Integer overflow in the ioc_general function in drivers/scsi/gdth.c
in the Linux kernel before 2.6.36.1 on 64-bit platforms allows
local users to cause a denial of service (memory corruption)
or possibly have unspecified other impact via a large argument
in an ioctl call.

This was fixed before Natty opened, and has already hit Maverick and
Lucid via the upstream stable process. The upstream fix cherry-picks
back to Karmic and Hardy unchanged. I have backported this fix to
Dapper as well; including checks for additional parameters from
userspace (which are validated in other ways in Hardy and later).

Two patches follow, one for Dapper, and a second for Hardy and Karmic.

-apw

Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Tim Gardner

Acked-by: Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@canonical.com>

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Stefan Bader

On 02/02/2011 01:27 PM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> CVE-2010-4157
>
> Integer overflow in the ioc_general function in drivers/scsi/gdth.c
> in the Linux kernel before 2.6.36.1 on 64-bit platforms allows
> local users to cause a denial of service (memory corruption)
> or possibly have unspecified other impact via a large argument
> in an ioctl call.
>
> This was fixed before Natty opened, and has already hit Maverick and
> Lucid via the upstream stable process. The upstream fix cherry-picks
> back to Karmic and Hardy unchanged. I have backported this fix to
> Dapper as well; including checks for additional parameters from
> userspace (which are validated in other ways in Hardy and later).
>
> Two patches follow, one for Dapper, and a second for Hardy and Karmic.
>
> -apw

Looks ok

Acked-by: Stefan Bader <stefan.bader@canonical.com>

Old 02-07-2011, 08:00 AM