Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 PM
Tim Gardner

Default disable autoloading of rare protocols

On 01/13/2011 10:09 AM, Andy Whitcroft wrote:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 03:06:04PM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 03:41:21PM -0600, Tim Gardner wrote:

Why don't we blacklist these modules instead of carrying more SAUCE patches?

I think that shipping a blacklist file is more of a pain since it would end up as a
debian conffile in /etc, so local changes would cause install debconf questions, etc.

Another option would be to filter it during the modules.aliases file creation so the
list is all in one place.

If we used one file they would be required to comment things out to
enable one protocol and indeed generate a debconf question.

How about if we made one file per protocol. disable-x25.conf stylee,
then they could simply remove the file to fix it. Would that avoid the
conflict. Cirtainly we could use a dpkg redirect if the file is to go
en-toto?

Would that work better?

-apw

After a hallway conversation with Kees, we've agreed that he'll write
the module-init-tools patch to blacklist the aforementioned protocols.
This has the advantage of being applicable to all Natty user space
installs, regardless of the kernel in use.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com