Old 11-23-2010, 01:33 PM
Andy Whitcroft

Default In-tree documentation of driver deviations for Lucid and Maverick

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 03:16:27PM +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
> As discussed on UDS, we want to document driver deviations in a file, to make
> automated checks possible and to have the documentation even simpler to find.
>
> May proposal would be a file called debian.master/deviations.txt (which would
> allow to add additional debian.*/deviations.txt for topic branches).
>
> The contents are similar to the MAINTAINERS file. Attached are the prepared
> files for Lucid and Maverick.
>
> Comments? Objections? Modifications? Agreement?

Neat, we talked about using something like MAINTAINERS and they look
good.

-apw

Old 11-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Brad Figg

On 11/23/2010 06:16 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> As discussed on UDS, we want to document driver deviations in a file, to make
> automated checks possible and to have the documentation even simpler to find.
>
> May proposal would be a file called debian.master/deviations.txt (which would
> allow to add additional debian.*/deviations.txt for topic branches).
>
> The contents are similar to the MAINTAINERS file. Attached are the prepared
> files for Lucid and Maverick.
>
> Comments? Objections? Modifications? Agreement?
>
> -Stefan

Looks good. I do have one thing to consider. If you're going to use this as the
input for scripts, I'd suggest using json data format. This is easy to read text
and the best part is it easily loads into python as a dictionary or list or whatever
you want. Also it means that the name/value pairs can be readable strings instead
of single letter abbreviations. I use this format all the time now and have
convinced others to use it as well.

Two entries would look something like:

{
"drm subsystem" : {
"mailing list" : "kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com",
"repo" : "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/smb/linux-2.6.32.y-drm33.z.git",
"files" : [
"drivers/gpu/drm/*",
"include/drm/*"
],
"comments" : "Graphics bugs were claimed to be not fixable in 2.6.32. All upstream
had moved to 2.6.33 and abandoned 2.6.32.
The combined 2.6.32.y/DRM33.z tree is maintained as an upstream source
for Ubuntu and Debian."
},

"sfc driver" : {
"mailing list" : "kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com",
"repo" : "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.33.y.git",
"files" : ["drivers/net/sfc/*"],
"comments" : "Was requested in order to support newer servers and driver had changed
beyond a point to SRU it later.
"
}

}

--
Brad Figg brad.figg@canonical.com http://www.canonical.com

Old 11-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Stefan Bader

On 11/23/2010 04:58 PM, Brad Figg wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 06:16 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> As discussed on UDS, we want to document driver deviations in a file, to make
>> automated checks possible and to have the documentation even simpler to find.
>>
>> May proposal would be a file called debian.master/deviations.txt (which would
>> allow to add additional debian.*/deviations.txt for topic branches).
>>
>> The contents are similar to the MAINTAINERS file. Attached are the prepared
>> files for Lucid and Maverick.
>>
>> Comments? Objections? Modifications? Agreement?
>>
>> -Stefan
>>

> Looks good. I do have one thing to consider. If you're going to use this as the
> input for scripts, I'd suggest using json data format. This is easy to read text
> and the best part is it easily loads into python as a dictionary or list or whatever
> you want. Also it means that the name/value pairs can be readable strings instead
> of single letter abbreviations. I use this format all the time now and have
> convinced others to use it as well.

Well this is maybe simpler for python, but the target was to look like the
maintainers file and this is what it looks like. Likely a bit harder on the
parsing script but I am on that.

-Stefan

Old 11-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Brad Figg

On 11/23/2010 08:05 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 04:58 PM, Brad Figg wrote:
>> On 11/23/2010 06:16 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
>>> As discussed on UDS, we want to document driver deviations in a file, to make
>>> automated checks possible and to have the documentation even simpler to find.
>>>
>>> May proposal would be a file called debian.master/deviations.txt (which would
>>> allow to add additional debian.*/deviations.txt for topic branches).
>>>
>>> The contents are similar to the MAINTAINERS file. Attached are the prepared
>>> files for Lucid and Maverick.
>>>
>>> Comments? Objections? Modifications? Agreement?
>>>
>>> -Stefan
>>>

>> Looks good. I do have one thing to consider. If you're going to use this as the
>> input for scripts, I'd suggest using json data format. This is easy to read text
>> and the best part is it easily loads into python as a dictionary or list or whatever
>> you want. Also it means that the name/value pairs can be readable strings instead
>> of single letter abbreviations. I use this format all the time now and have
>> convinced others to use it as well.
>>
> Well this is maybe simpler for python, but the target was to look like the
> maintainers file and this is what it looks like. Likely a bit harder on the
> parsing script but I am on that.
>
> -Stefan
>
>> Two entries would look something like:
>>
>> {
>> "drm subsystem" : {
>> "mailing list" : "kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com",
>> "repo" : "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/smb/linux-2.6.32.y-drm33.z.git",
>> "files" : [
>> "drivers/gpu/drm/*",
>> "include/drm/*"
>> ],
>> "comments" : "Graphics bugs were claimed to be not fixable in 2.6.32. All upstream
>> had moved to 2.6.33 and abandoned 2.6.32.
>> The combined 2.6.32.y/DRM33.z tree is maintained as an upstream source
>> for Ubuntu and Debian."
>> },
>>
>> "sfc driver" : {
>> "mailing list" : "kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com",
>> "repo" : "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.33.y.git",
>> "files" : ["drivers/net/sfc/*"],
>> "comments" : "Was requested in order to support newer servers and driver had changed
>> beyond a point to SRU it later.
>> "
>> }
>>
>> }

So looking like the maintainers list was a hard requirement?

--
Brad Figg brad.figg@canonical.com http://www.canonical.com

Old 11-23-2010, 03:17 PM
Stefan Bader

On 11/23/2010 05:08 PM, Brad Figg wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 08:05 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:

>>> Looks good. I do have one thing to consider. If you're going to use this as the
>>> input for scripts, I'd suggest using json data format. This is easy to read text
>>> and the best part is it easily loads into python as a dictionary or list or whatever
>>> you want. Also it means that the name/value pairs can be readable strings instead
>>> of single letter abbreviations. I use this format all the time now and have
>>> convinced others to use it as well.
>>>
>> Well this is maybe simpler for python, but the target was to look like the
>> maintainers file and this is what it looks like. Likely a bit harder on the
>> parsing script but I am on that.
>>
>> -Stefan
>>
>>> Two entries would look something like:
>>>
>>> {
>>> "drm subsystem" : {
>>> "mailing list" : "kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com",
>>> "repo" : "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/smb/linux-2.6.32.y-drm33.z.git",
>>> "files" : [
>>> "drivers/gpu/drm/*",
>>> "include/drm/*"
>>> ],
>>> "comments" : "Graphics bugs were claimed to be not fixable in 2.6.32. All upstream
>>> had moved to 2.6.33 and abandoned 2.6.32.
>>> The combined 2.6.32.y/DRM33.z tree is maintained as an upstream source
>>> for Ubuntu and Debian."
>>> },
>>>
>>> "sfc driver" : {
>>> "mailing list" : "kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com",
>>> "repo" : "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.33.y.git",
>>> "files" : ["drivers/net/sfc/*"],
>>> "comments" : "Was requested in order to support newer servers and driver had changed
>>> beyond a point to SRU it later.
>>> "
>>> }
>>>
>>> }
>>>

> So looking like the maintainers list was a hard requirement?

That sort of was said on UDS. And probably I am not in the group of people that
got convinced to the JSON format either. To me the the format of the maintainers
file looks much simpler and clean (and easier to type as me).
Now if there is a great rising of people all in favour of JSON, I do not want to
fight for it. Just that I like the other thing better.

-Stefan

Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Tim Gardner

On 11/23/2010 10:58 AM, Brad Figg wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 06:16 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
>> As discussed on UDS, we want to document driver deviations in a file, to make
>> automated checks possible and to have the documentation even simpler to find.
>>
>> May proposal would be a file called debian.master/deviations.txt (which would
>> allow to add additional debian.*/deviations.txt for topic branches).
>>
>> The contents are similar to the MAINTAINERS file. Attached are the prepared
>> files for Lucid and Maverick.
>>
>> Comments? Objections? Modifications? Agreement?
>>
>> -Stefan
>>

> Looks good. I do have one thing to consider. If you're going to use this as the
> input for scripts, I'd suggest using json data format. This is easy to read text
> and the best part is it easily loads into python as a dictionary or list or whatever
> you want. Also it means that the name/value pairs can be readable strings instead
> of single letter abbreviations. I use this format all the time now and have
> convinced others to use it as well.
>
> Two entries would look something like:
>
> {
> "drm subsystem" : {
> "mailing list" : "kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com",
> "repo" : "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/smb/linux-2.6.32.y-drm33.z.git",
> "files" : [
> "drivers/gpu/drm/*",
> "include/drm/*"
> ],
> "comments" : "Graphics bugs were claimed to be not fixable in 2.6.32. All upstream
> had moved to 2.6.33 and abandoned 2.6.32.
> The combined 2.6.32.y/DRM33.z tree is maintained as an upstream source
> for Ubuntu and Debian."
> },
>
> "sfc driver" : {
> "mailing list" : "kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com",
> "repo" : "git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.33.y.git",
> "files" : ["drivers/net/sfc/*"],
> "comments" : "Was requested in order to support newer servers and driver had changed
> beyond a point to SRU it later.
> "
> }
>
> }

One argument for preserving the current format is that we can likely
adapt scripts/get_maintainer.pl to also search the deviants file.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 11-23-2010, 03:36 PM
Brad Figg

On 11/23/2010 08:17 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> On 11/23/2010 05:08 PM, Brad Figg wrote:

>>> Well this is maybe simpler for python, but the target was to look like the
>>> maintainers file and this is what it looks like. Likely a bit harder on the
>>> parsing script but I am on that.
>>>
>>> -Stefan

>> So looking like the maintainers list was a hard requirement?
>>
> That sort of was said on UDS. And probably I am not in the group of people that
> got convinced to the JSON format either. To me the the format of the maintainers
> file looks much simpler and clean (and easier to type as me).
> Now if there is a great rising of people all in favour of JSON, I do not want to
> fight for it. Just that I like the other thing better.
>
> -Stefan

It was just a suggestion. Personally, I'm finding this a very convenient format and
it's easy to write:

import json

with open("data.json", "r") as f:
data = json.load(f)

At this point "data" is now a standard python dictionary object. If you make changes
to it you can dump it back out as text with:

print json.dumps(data, sort_keys=True, indent=4)

Brad
--
Brad Figg brad.figg@canonical.com http://www.canonical.com

Old 11-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Colin Ian King

On Tue, 2010-11-23 at 15:16 +0100, Stefan Bader wrote:
> As discussed on UDS, we want to document driver deviations in a file, to make
> automated checks possible and to have the documentation even simpler to find.
>
> May proposal would be a file called debian.master/deviations.txt (which would
> allow to add additional debian.*/deviations.txt for topic branches).
>
> The contents are similar to the MAINTAINERS file. Attached are the prepared
> files for Lucid and Maverick.
>
> Comments? Objections? Modifications? Agreement?

Sweet. I'd prefer it in this format than json format just to keep it
in-sync with the MAINTAINERS file format.