Old 11-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Stefan Bader

Default In-tree documentation of driver deviations for Lucid and Maverick

As discussed on UDS, we want to document driver deviations in a file, to make
automated checks possible and to have the documentation even simpler to find.

May proposal would be a file called debian.master/deviations.txt (which would
allow to add additional debian.*/deviations.txt for topic branches).

The contents are similar to the MAINTAINERS file. Attached are the prepared
files for Lucid and Maverick.

Comments? Objections? Modifications? Agreement?

-Stefan
DRM SUBSYSTEM
L: kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
T: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/smb/linux-2.6.32.y-drm33.z.git
F: drivers/gpu/drm/*
F: include/drm/*

Graphics bugs were claimed to be not fixable in 2.6.32. All upstream
had moved to 2.6.33 and abandoned 2.6.32.
The combined 2.6.32.y/DRM33.z tree is maintained as an upstream source
for Ubuntu and Debian.

SFC DRIVER
L: kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
T: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.33.y.git
F: drivers/net/sfc/*

Was requested in order to support newer servers and driver had changed
beyond a point to SRU it later.

THINKPAD-ACPI DRIVER
L: kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
T: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.34.y.git
F: drivers/platform/x86/thinkpad_acpi.c

Only the selected driver supported the alsa representation of the
hardware mixer which would be a requisite to handle volume events
correctly.

HID-NTRIG DRIVER
L: kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
T: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.34.y.git
F: drivers/hid/hid-ntrig.c

In order to be a development ground for multi-touch, this driver was
needed.

INTEL_IPS DRIVER
L: kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
T: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.36.y.git
F: drivers/platform/x86/intel_ips.c

Support some power management feature present in latest Intel hardware.
Risk was low due to it being an independent driver.

HID INPUT DRIVERS
L: kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com
T: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-2.6.36.y.git
F: drivers/hid/*

Ongoing effort to be bleeding edge of multi-touch. Only exception is
"UBUNTU: SAUCE: hid: 3m: Simplify touchsreen emulation logic"
which is not a long term solution nor appropriate for upstream.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Tim Gardner

On 11/23/2010 07:16 AM, Stefan Bader wrote:
> As discussed on UDS, we want to document driver deviations in a file, to make
> automated checks possible and to have the documentation even simpler to find.
>
> May proposal would be a file called debian.master/deviations.txt (which would
> allow to add additional debian.*/deviations.txt for topic branches).
>
> The contents are similar to the MAINTAINERS file. Attached are the prepared
> files for Lucid and Maverick.
>
> Comments? Objections? Modifications? Agreement?
>
> -Stefan

Looks good to me.

--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com