Old 11-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Colin Ian King

Default 2.6.37-6.15 seems buggered

On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 09:39 -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> I'm having crashes on boot with my Nvidia based Dell XPSM1710 (using
> Noveau). We should probably get the archive admins to hold off on NEWing
> the binaries.
>
> The first indication of something wrong is a stack trace from
> kernel/trace/ftrace.c:1014
>
> I also crashes on one of my ATI Radeon based servers, but I can't tell
> if its at the same place.

Begs the question if many of us are dog fooding this kernel at the
moment.

Colin

Old 11-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Tim Gardner

On 11/21/2010 10:52 AM, Colin Ian King wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-11-21 at 09:39 -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
>> I'm having crashes on boot with my Nvidia based Dell XPSM1710 (using
>> Noveau). We should probably get the archive admins to hold off on NEWing
>> the binaries.
>>
>> The first indication of something wrong is a stack trace from
>> kernel/trace/ftrace.c:1014
>>
>> I also crashes on one of my ATI Radeon based servers, but I can't tell
>> if its at the same place.
>
> Begs the question if many of us are dog fooding this kernel at the
> moment.

Well, likely not just yet since the binaries haven't even been accepted
into the archive, nor has the meta package with the ABI bump been uploaded.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 11-22-2010, 08:00 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 09:39:03AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> I'm having crashes on boot with my Nvidia based Dell XPSM1710 (using
> Noveau). We should probably get the archive admins to hold off on NEWing
> the binaries.
>
> The first indication of something wrong is a stack trace from
> kernel/trace/ftrace.c:1014
>
> I also crashes on one of my ATI Radeon based servers, but I can't tell
> if its at the same place.

I am getting indications it may be triggering vile panics in modules
as well. I am suspicious this is the module NXRO patches in my case.
Anynow am investigating.

-apw

Old 11-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 09:00:09AM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 09:39:03AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> > I'm having crashes on boot with my Nvidia based Dell XPSM1710 (using
> > Noveau). We should probably get the archive admins to hold off on NEWing
> > the binaries.
> >
> > The first indication of something wrong is a stack trace from
> > kernel/trace/ftrace.c:1014
> >
> > I also crashes on one of my ATI Radeon based servers, but I can't tell
> > if its at the same place.
>
> I am getting indications it may be triggering vile panics in modules
> as well. I am suspicious this is the module NXRO patches in my case.
> Anynow am investigating.

Yeah in testing here it seems to be the module NXRO patches which are
blowing things up. It looks superficially that we are going read-only
before all linking is complete. I'll get with you to test the updated
kernels with your two broken boxed, but reverting that patch cirtainly
fixes all of the machines I have tested here.

-apw

Old 11-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Andy Whitcroft

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 11:09:10AM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 09:00:09AM +0000, Andy Whitcroft wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 09:39:03AM -0700, Tim Gardner wrote:
> > > I'm having crashes on boot with my Nvidia based Dell XPSM1710 (using
> > > Noveau). We should probably get the archive admins to hold off on NEWing
> > > the binaries.
> > >
> > > The first indication of something wrong is a stack trace from
> > > kernel/trace/ftrace.c:1014
> > >
> > > I also crashes on one of my ATI Radeon based servers, but I can't tell
> > > if its at the same place.
> >
> > I am getting indications it may be triggering vile panics in modules
> > as well. I am suspicious this is the module NXRO patches in my case.
> > Anynow am investigating.
>
> Yeah in testing here it seems to be the module NXRO patches which are
> blowing things up. It looks superficially that we are going read-only
> before all linking is complete. I'll get with you to test the updated
> kernels with your two broken boxed, but reverting that patch cirtainly
> fixes all of the machines I have tested here.

Tim,

Ok, I have published some kernels with just these reverts to confirm
that your issues are the same as mine; and I strongly suspect they are.
Could you test these ones on your problematic systems to confirm this is
the only flaw:

http://people.canonical.com/~apw/ronx-revert-natty/

Cheers.

-apw