Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 AM
Brad Figg

Default SRU: Update to 2.6.35.8 (upstream stable release)

SRU Justification

Impact:

The upstream process for stable tree updates is quite similar in scope to the Ubuntu SRU process, e.g., each patch has to demonstrably fix a bug, and each patch is vetted by upstream by originating either directly from Linus' tree or in a minimally
backported form of that patch.

The 2.6.35.8 upstream stable patch set is now available. It should be
included in the Ubuntu kernel as well.

http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.35.8
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.35.8.bz2

Test Case: TBD

The following patches are in the 2.6.35.8 stable release:

Linux 2.6.35.8
mm: Move vma_stack_continue into mm.h
execve: make responsive to SIGKILL with large arguments
execve: improve interactivity with large arguments
setup_arg_pages: diagnose excessive argument size
x86, mm: Fix CONFIG_VMSPLIT_1G and 2G_OPT trampoline
x86-32: Fix dummy trampoline-related inline stubs
x86-32: Separate 1:1 pagetables from swapper_pg_dir
agp/intel: Fix cache control for Sandybridge
x86: detect scattered cpuid features earlier
PM / ACPI: Blacklist systems known to require acpi_sleep=nonvs
ACPI: Disable Windows Vista compatibility for Toshiba P305D
ACPI: delete ZEPTO idle=nomwait DMI quirk
ACPI: EC: add Vista incompatibility DMI entry for Toshiba Satellite L355
intel_idle: PCI quirk to prevent Lenovo Ideapad s10-3 boot hang
ACPI: enable repeated PCIEXP wakeup by clearing PCIEXP_WAKE_STS on resume
ALSA: hda - add ideapad model for Conexant 5051 codec
b44: fix carrier detection on bind
powerpc: Don't use kernel stack with translation off
powerpc: Initialise paca->kstack before early_setup_secondary
ACPI: Handle ACPI0007 Device in acpi_early_set_pdc
virtio: console: Don't block entire guest if host doesn't read data
Fix VPD inquiry page wrapper
bsg: fix incorrect device_status value
KVM: Fix reboot on Intel hosts
KVM: fix irqfd assign/deassign race
KVM: x86: Move TSC reset out of vmcb_init
KVM: x86: Fix SVM VMCB reset
KVM: i8259: fix migration
r8169: allocate with GFP_KERNEL flag when able to sleep
skge: add quirk to limit DMA
xfs: properly account for reclaimed inodes
V4L/DVB: dib7770: enable the current mirror
mmc: sdio: fix SDIO suspend/resume regression
drm/radeon/kms: add quirk for MSI K9A2GM motherboard
drm/radeon/kms: fix potential segfault in r600_ioctl_wait_idle
drm/radeon/kms: fix up encoder info messages for DFP6
drm/radeon/kms: fix possible sigbus in evergreen accel code
drm/radeon: fix PCI ID 5657 to be an RV410
drm: Hold the mutex when dropping the last GEM reference (v2)
drm: Prune GEM vma entries
drm/i915: fix GMCH power reporting
drm/i915: Sanity check pread/pwrite
drm/i915: Prevent module unload to avoid random memory corruption
firewire: ohci: fix TI TSB82AA2 regression since 2.6.35
De-pessimize rds_page_copy_user
x86, AMD, MCE thresholding: Fix the MCi_MISCj iteration order
x86, numa: For each node, register the memory blocks actually used
atl1: fix resume
wext: fix potential private ioctl memory content leak
mfd: Ignore non-GPIO IRQs when setting wm831x IRQ types
ocfs2: Don't walk off the end of fast symlinks.
reiserfs: fix unwanted reiserfs lock recursion
reiserfs: fix dependency inversion between inode and reiserfs mutexes
i2c-pca: Fix waitforcompletion() return value
hrtimer: Preserve timer state in remove_hrtimer()
drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915_gem.c: Add missing error handling code
dmaengine: fix interrupt clearing for mv_xor
ring-buffer: Fix typo of time extends per page
virtio-blk: fix request leak.
OSS: soundcard: locking bug in sound_ioctl()
ubd: fix incorrect sector handling during request restart
x86, irq: Plug memory leak in sparse irq
x86, hpet: Fix bogus error check in hpet_assign_irq()
mac80211: fix use-after-free
ioat2: fix performance regression
Input: wacom - fix pressure in Cintiq 21UX2
Input: joydev - fix JSIOCSAXMAP ioctl
V4L/DVB: Don't identify PV SBTVD Hybrid as a DibCom device
V4L/DVB: IR: fix keys beeing stuck down forever
V4L/DVB: cx231xx: Avoid an OOPS when card is unknown (card=0)
v4l1: fix 32-bit compat microcode loading translation
i7core_edac: fix panic in udimm sysfs attributes registration
ksm: fix bad user data when swapping
tracing/x86: Don't use mcount in kvmclock.c
tracing/x86: Don't use mcount in pvclock.c
x86/amd-iommu: Work around S3 BIOS bug
x86/amd-iommu: Fix rounding-bug in __unmap_single
x86/amd-iommu: Set iommu configuration flags in enable-loop
mmc: sdhci-s3c: fix NULL ptr access in sdhci_s3c_remove
V4L/DVB: gspca - sn9c20x: Bad transfer size of Bayer images
V4L/DVB: gspca - main: Fix a crash of some webcams on ARM arch
ARM: 6395/1: VExpress: Set bit 22 in the PL310 (cache controller) AuxCtlr register
ARM: 6400/1: at91: fix arch_gettimeoffset fallout
drm/radeon/kms: avivo cursor workaround applies to evergreen as well
drm/radeon/kms: fix bad cast/shift in evergreen.c
RDMA/cxgb3: Turn off RX coalescing for iWARP connections
oprofile, ARM: Release resources on failure
oprofile: Add Support for Intel CPU Family 6 / Model 29
ACPI: invoke DSDT corruption workaround on all Toshiba Satellite
lib/list_sort: do not pass bad pointers to cmp callback
ahci: fix module refcount breakage introduced by libahci split
HID: hidraw, fix a NULL pointer dereference in hidraw_write
HID: hidraw, fix a NULL pointer dereference in hidraw_ioctl
usb: musb: gadget: restart request on clearing endpoint halt
usb: musb: gadget: fix kernel panic if using out ep with FIFO_TXRX style
USB: fix bug in initialization of interface minor numbers
hwmon: (lis3) Fix Oops with NULL platform data
ALSA: rawmidi: fix oops (use after free) when unloading a driver module
ALSA: prevent heap corruption in snd_ctl_new()
ALSA: hda - Add Dell Latitude E6400 model quirk
ALSA: oxygen: fix analog capture on Claro halo cards
ALSA: sound/pci/rme9652: prevent reading uninitialized stack memory
x86, cpu: After uncapping CPUID, re-run CPU feature detection

--
Brad Figg brad.figg@canonical.com http://www.canonical.com

Old 11-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Tim Gardner

On 11/16/2010 09:53 PM, Brad Figg wrote:
> [...]
> lib/list_sort: do not pass bad pointers to cmp callback
> ahci: fix module refcount breakage introduced by libahci split
> HID: hidraw, fix a NULL pointer dereference in hidraw_write
> HID: hidraw, fix a NULL pointer dereference in hidraw_ioctl
> usb: musb: gadget: restart request on clearing endpoint halt
> usb: musb: gadget: fix kernel panic if using out ep with FIFO_TXRX style
> USB: fix bug in initialization of interface minor numbers
> hwmon: (lis3) Fix Oops with NULL platform data
> ALSA: rawmidi: fix oops (use after free) when unloading a driver module
> ALSA: prevent heap corruption in snd_ctl_new()
> ALSA: hda - Add Dell Latitude E6400 model quirk
> ALSA: oxygen: fix analog capture on Claro halo cards
> ALSA: sound/pci/rme9652: prevent reading uninitialized stack memory
> x86, cpu: After uncapping CPUID, re-run CPU feature detection

These are some of the patches that I expect will have the widest impact.
There are a surprising number of deep core patches for a stable release
of this high number.

"x86, cpu: After uncapping CPUID, re-run CPU feature detection" solves
http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/615153

"ahci: fix module refcount breakage introduced by libahci split" looks
like it fixes a bit of module carnage.

"lib/list_sort: do not pass bad pointers to cmp callback" is kind of a
fundamental fix.

"x86/amd-iommu: Set iommu configuration flags in enable-loop" fixes some
AMD resume issues.

"ksm: fix bad user data when swapping" is a core fix for swap corruption.

"x86, hpet: Fix bogus error check in hpet_assign_irq()" and "x86, irq:
Plug memory leak in sparse irq" address some IRQ allocation issues.

"firewire: ohci: fix TI TSB82AA2 regression since 2.6.35" might fix some
issues where folks have had to blacklist the new stack.

Some KVM IRQ and TSC fixes.

"ACPI: enable repeated PCIEXP wakeup by clearing PCIEXP_WAKE_STS on
resume" from cking fixes resume issues on a number of platforms.

"x86: detect scattered cpuid features earlier" fixes
http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/615153

Git 'er done.

rtg
--
Tim Gardner tim.gardner@canonical.com

Old 11-17-2010, 04:35 PM
Brad Figg

On 11/16/2010 08:53 PM, Brad Figg wrote:
> [...]
> lib/list_sort: do not pass bad pointers to cmp callback
> ahci: fix module refcount breakage introduced by libahci split
> HID: hidraw, fix a NULL pointer dereference in hidraw_write
> HID: hidraw, fix a NULL pointer dereference in hidraw_ioctl
> usb: musb: gadget: restart request on clearing endpoint halt
> usb: musb: gadget: fix kernel panic if using out ep with FIFO_TXRX style
> USB: fix bug in initialization of interface minor numbers
> hwmon: (lis3) Fix Oops with NULL platform data
> ALSA: rawmidi: fix oops (use after free) when unloading a driver module
> ALSA: prevent heap corruption in snd_ctl_new()
> ALSA: hda - Add Dell Latitude E6400 model quirk
> ALSA: oxygen: fix analog capture on Claro halo cards
> ALSA: sound/pci/rme9652: prevent reading uninitialized stack memory
> x86, cpu: After uncapping CPUID, re-run CPU feature detection

Applied to Maverick master branch.

--
Brad Figg brad.figg@canonical.com http://www.canonical.com